Need fast advice!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by StaceyKay, Aug 3, 2014.

1. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    A couple weeks ago I had discovered my hen had been laying on some eggs that she had buried under the hay. I do not have an incubator so I put them back under her and decided to let her hatch them. A week and a half went by and she decided to abandon the nest. I checked the 3 eggs she had laid on and only one was fertile. I took in the single egg and didn't know what to do, seeing as how I do not have an incubator. I put a damp towel in the bottom of a casserole dish and hung a heat lamp over the dish, with plastic wrap (large holes poke everywhere) covering the dish for humidity. The temperature gauge has read lower than normal a lot of the time, usually 98.6. I try to keep it at 99.5 but I would have to be with the egg constantly for it to not go above or below the desired temperature. it has done well as far as I could tell, and is now on it's way to hatching. It has internally piped the air cell, but I have a huge concern here; it doesn't peep often. After it first pipped it peeped consistently, but now it peeps in short intervals. Should I be worried? Did I have too much humidity, or not enough? Was it too cold? Also, I candled the egg a bit often and am not sure if that could've possibly harmed it. I understand these aren't the best circumstances but it was the best I could do for a last minute, amateur set up. Apologies for the length but I would really apprileciate some fast feedback. Thank you

2. bobthebunny

bobthebunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2014
    Im sorry I don't hatch my eggs but I want to be the first to [​IMG] welcome to our flock.

3. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thank you!

4. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    Update: this morning marked twelve hours from the internal pip. It had broken the shell last night but not the membrane, and because I know it didn't have enough humidity I worked around it and moistened it until I could safely make a breathing hole. It is now more active and is peeping more often.

5. bobthebunny

Aug 2, 2014
    Sounds like your doing something right good job.

6. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thank you, it has now hatched and is a bouncing, healthy little Silkie Buff Banner :)

7. bobthebunny

Aug 2, 2014
    ADORABLE can I have pics

8. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    [​IMG]
    Here she is!

9. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    [​IMG]

Congratulations on all that hard work paying off. Way to GO!

10. StaceyKay

StaceyKay New Egg

Aug 3, 2014
    Kentucky
    Thank you! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by