Need Fast Answer -dead Chickens!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bnentrup, Jun 25, 2010.

1. bnentrup

bnentrup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I am so furious! Just went outside 30-min ago to find the neighbors husky busted into my tractor and killed 1/2 of my flock. WHAT DO I DO? I called the neighbor who is at the movies, and let him know. I also let him know I had serious $ involved. I told him $15-20 per bird at finished weight. I hope that he will be responsible. but HOLY COW am I an emotional wreck. I wanted to ring the neck of the dog, but it ran home! I did take plenty of pictures.

I had 3-stragglers that I had to wring their necks since they were suffering. I have 20-dead birds as of now, and 3-with visual injuries.

1.) do I finish the injured off now?
    2.) should I go ahead and process the chickens -- most are 3lb range...
    3.) Can I put the dead ones over ice until the neighbor sees them himself?

2. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    take pics...show them lined up.
    take pics of damage to coop.
    take lots of pictures......be sure time and date stamp is set on camera...
    have a witness if you can, another neighbor, friend come over ect......... to see what was done...

take a picture of his dog out....several pics....

depending on how bad the others are hurt....they may be ok....i dont know what their injuries are..

id process them now..its alot of work, but alot to go to waste also if you dont...

check the animal laws where you live...are dogs allowed to run free?? if leash law, they will be responsible...

call the animal control in your city..and tell them what happened where there is a record....

3. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Thanks for the input.. I called the neighbor and also text'd him a solution and he has agreed to take care of it. I took many pics, and I believe that we do have a leash law here in shelby co. I wish (in retrospect) I grabbed the dog... it ran back home.

The worst part is thinking about the hours invested in the birds, time I have posted in THIS FORUM!! in relation to the birds, the cost of feed, and now the stress. My blood is boiling. People are incredibly irresponsible.

For the first 3-months we lived here, prior to us getting any chickens, we worked HARD to remove stray cats that neighbors just foolishly abandon. They get upset when their cat disappears, but I get mad when a chicken is killed or when they spray my house! Our entry doors smells like cat pee.

Oh, the life of a farmer.

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    So sorry about your bird's.Have been there a few time's with dog's.Most people will be willing to settle up for the cost but it still doesn't bring your bird's back.I have had duck's,chicken's' and turkey's killed here.I hand raise and tame everyone of mine and they are like babie's to me.I personaly wouldn't process a bird that was attacked due to possible bacteria etc.But then again We don't raise ours for meat so someone else might want to chime in on that.Hope thing's go ok with your neighbor and Sooo sorry again about your loss.

5. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:thanks- I have been on the other side and had my dog run into the side of a car and leave a dent. The damage was $400 and even though I did not want to pay it... I did because it was responsible. I learned the lesson 7-years ago to always have the dogs on a leash as they are not WILD!!!!

As for the bacteria-- heat kills the majority (99.9%) of bacteria and I would obviously not sell them. However, it would be just one more chapter to this negative event if I had to throw them away. I hope to at-least spare them for some type of usage. I am keeping them cool until the neighbor arrives here in the hour and then will process them.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:The real worst part, sadly, is the terror and suffering imposed on the birds. Our efforts, however substantial, don't begin to compare. And it is for this reason that I think we all have to charge the maximum amount possible for each bird when situations like this occur (and there are many threads here on BYC re: how to calculate and legitimately justify the numbers) so that hopefully in time there is a paradigm shift out there re: the intrinsic value of these wonderful beings. A paradigm shift, desperately needed given the stunning number of tragic incidents like this, may in time make at least some people more careful with their dogs, their predatory instincts all too often forgotten when Fido is wagging his tail and licking their faces. No amount of money can compensate for robbing a bird of the joy of whatever days it would have had left but if a stiff bill serves as a deterrent to further irresponsibilty by that dog's guardian or anyone else they tell the story to, then future lives may be saved.

As to the injured birds, it is amazing what they can recover from with great care. If you post the nature of the injuries, people will help. First and foremost put the injured birds somewhere calm and safe as shock and stress can kill them even when the injury is most treatable.
    JJ

7. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Quote:The real worst part, sadly, is the terror and suffering imposed on the birds. Our efforts, however substantial, don't begin to compare. And it is for this reason that I think we all have to charge the maximum amount possible for each bird when situations like this occur (and there are many threads here on BYC re: how to calculate and legitimately justify the numbers) so that hopefully in time there is a paradigm shift out there re: the intrinsic value of these wonderful beings. A paradigm shift, desperately needed given the stunning number of tragic incidents like this, may in time make at least some people more careful with their dogs, their predatory instincts all too often forgotten when Fido is wagging his tail and licking their faces. No amount of money can compensate for robbing a bird of the joy of whatever days it would have had left but if a stiff bill serves as a deterrent to further irresponsibilty by that dog's guardian or anyone else they tell the story to, then future lives may be saved.

As to the injured birds, it is amazing what they can recover from with great care. If you post the nature of the injuries, people will help. First and foremost put the injured birds somewhere calm and safe as shock and stress can kill them even when the injury is most treatable.
    JJ

I do agree about the worse being the suffering. I cannot fully describe what I witnessed as it was a horrible site. I am a hunter, and even still have a soft heart for God's creatures. I cannot stand seeing anything suffer. I had 4-chickens+ gasping for air, one with entrails on the outside as it had a broken leg, another with its head under the tractor to escape, and another crammed into the waterer and suffocated trying to escape....the list goes on.

If I mentioned the time I have been spending with my birds, I would be called a freak! I am probably in the presence of the birds on average 4-hours per day. I have tried to use this as education, and also enjoy just being outside watching. I weight them, feed and water, move the tractor, rake the poo, etc etc etc... You all can relate.

I will evaluate their injuries and post them here. I plan to move the 4 to the brooder for close eval. I am just still in shock/adrenaline pumping and not thinking straight.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    My heart truly breaks for your birds, and for you. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I wish all who have dogs that they don't keep in their control at all times would be required to read your posts.
    JJ

9. bnentrup

May 5, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well,
    I have inspected the 2 of the 4-birds with noticeable injuries--The worse 2 have been moved to the brooder and had feed placed in front. They are both leg injuries. I do not think it is joint but rather muscle damage. Both have punctures just above the leg in the abdomen. I am afraid one has a puncture into the stomach lining. Should i try and treat them?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Yes, you would be amazed at how well they can come back from an injury. Topical and some baby aspirin in the water.
    Slinky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by