Need FAST help...poorly duckling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I have a duckling, 2 days sinc ehatch, who is having serious problems. This is the one that developed kind sideways, air sac on side of egg. She can't stand up, lays there kinda kicking, one wing seems to aim forward too far. She doesnot seem to be in pain. I'm giving her sugar water, but it comes out her bill holes?? She's having some breathing issues as well, kind-of a gentle panting.

I have her in the incubator still, on a napkin. I don't want to cull her. I know it sounds like I should, but since she does not seem in pain I want to give her more time. I tried to stand her in a bowl of uncooked rice but it didn't go over well.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If it's dry, pull it out of the incubator and put it in the brooder.
    Give it TINY sips of the water-otherwise it will aspirate.
    If you have electrolytes, I would use those instead of the sugar water, too!

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    There's 14 ducks/chicks int he brooder, I'm afraid they will hurt it? Or will they help it get moving??

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Oh gee...a lot of times if there is a baby that can't move, they just trample all over it.
    Can you section off a little part of the brooder for the duckling so the others can't get to it?

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    poor baby passed during the night. I feel confident, though, that I did everything I could and that he passed peacefully. [​IMG]

6. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I'm sorry. It didn't sound too good, but you never know. [​IMG]

7. abbylane35

abbylane35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Lodi, New York
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry! I had a similar issue last year. Good luck with the rest of your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by