1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need favor and recipes!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jul 29, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We came back from vacay to find that our elderly neighbor had died. Her husband knew she was ill, but still seems stunned by her loss.

He is a loner by nature and doesn't like to be "helped".

I would like to make him some food that he can easily heat up for himself. He doesn't need big casseroles etc.... Any ideas?

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I think he would appreciate it even if he's a "loner". You can always make something simple like Chicken parm. or even using your eggs to make a quiche. Both can be frozen.

3. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    quiche is good!

4. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    If he lives really close to your house you could maybe cook an extra portion of what you are making for your family and bring him a plate. Let him know you'll be doing it - maybe find out what time he usually eats. He may object, but let him know it would make you really happy to bring him dinner. If his objection was just polite manners, he will probably say OK at that point. (A lot of older people eat their dinner really early in the evening, so this may not work easily if you aren't on the same schedule. If that is the case it could be set up for easy warm up for the next day for him, or you could warm it up and bring it over at his normal dinner time, if your schedule allows for that...) If he still says 'no', (after you tell him it would make you really happy to bring him dinner), honor that. Maybe there is something else you can do for him. And don't forget about him. He may be overwhelmed with offers of food or help right now. You could check back every few days and see how he's doing.

My dad lives about an hour away from us, and frequently I will cook an extra portion for him when I'm making dinner for the rest of us, put it in a labeled ziploc freezer bag, and bring a collection of meal options with me when I visit. He doesn't cook for himself at all, so it's good to know he is getting at least some good food.

5. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I agree w/ PP. A plate of whatever you're having would be nice. He'd probably like to see a face at dinner time too.

6. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    I agree with other posters. When my mother was ill recently, I took her portions of our dinners. Usually, she opted to have them for lunch the next day; said it was better than having frozen TV dinners. And she eats only a light snack-type evening meal, because she doesn't sleep as well if she eats much.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We went over and took his recycling container back, got him his mail and now dh is mowing his lawn.

I was also thinking of the extra plate idea, we eat early too (early risers!). DO any of you have any single plate disposable ideas? I mean something that is covered and can be cooked on. I have seen tons of bowls etc, but no plates.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

We went over and took his recycling container back, got him his mail and now dh is mowing his lawn.

I was also thinking of the extra plate idea, we eat early too (early risers!). DO any of you have any single plate disposable ideas? I mean something that is covered and can be cooked on. I have seen tons of bowls etc, but no plates.

Not sure if you have a Dollar Tree close, but ours has these divided covered plates that are either 2 or 3 for a dollar.​

10. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    We always brought our elderly neighbor a bowl of soup or stew, told her she could freeze it if she didn't get around to eating it. Alot of seniors don't have big appetites, so they don't bother to fix the number of items that would = a balanced meal. I know that our neighbor would "dine" on buttered bread if she was left to her own devices. Poor nutrition can put elders into decline. I recommend anything that puts as many food groups as possible in one dish. Also: don't shy away from the exotic. My lady friend liked fried rice and burritos.
    Bless you for caring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by