Need Feed Advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Texas Fluffy Feet, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Texas Fluffy Feet

Texas Fluffy Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Everything I have read says how important it is to get fresh feed. I do not trust my local feedstore. They have out a giant bin of small bags of the purina start and grow for $3.99 a bag. These are dated January of 08. Is this now old? I'm sure they have this for sale with the "Free" Easter chick they give away. Exactly what is a good "lifespan" on feed anyway and are the bags dated with a manufacture date or a use by date like a jug of milk?
    My chicks will be here the 20th of this month. The only other place close to me who carries Chicken feed is Tractor Supply and it's a good 30 minutes away in an area where people still commonly keep livestock. I'm making a trip there later this week to get the wire for my run and a bag of pine shavings. I looked online and the feed brand I see they carry is called DuMor. It is a starter/grower and says 20%. What does that mean? Is this a good brand/ option? I would like to go ahead and purchase the feed when I go this week if possible since this store is out of my way and with gas costing what it does. I plan to get the 20 lb bag and I have 5 cochin chicks (maybe extras too I guess) coming from Ideal. I would hope this should last them a few weeks and the feed not be considered out of date by the time I get to the bottom of the bag. I have a spare fridge in the garage. If I keep the feed in there will it stay fresh longer? Also the information online says no other vitamins are necessary, but out to the side it says other products and lists "chick grit", would this be needed in addition to the starter/grower? Any advice is appreciated.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    If the bagging date is Jan 08 you are fine. Just make sure it is not a best before date.

20% is the protein content of the product.

Usually grit is in starter, so that will have to be answered by one who has used it. I do not know the dumor line besides what I have heard about it. Purina does make a good product.

Keeping feed cooler will help preserve the vitamin content.

3. Texas Fluffy Feet

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Thanks for the reply. Is 20% an adequate amount of protein?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, 20% is good. In fact, the start & grow type products are usually only 18%-19% protein since they are formulated to be used till laying age. I wish I could find separate starter in my area, but I can't.

5. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    I was just at the Tractor Supply 30 minutes from me yesterday and they had a chick starter feed that was 22% protein. I did not see if it had grit in it.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They don't need grit unless you feed them something that needs grinding other than their starter. Starter has everything they need. I also feed them chopped hardboiled egg without worrying about grit, but if you fed them greens or anything else like oatmeal, they'd need added grit.

7. Texas Fluffy Feet

Feb 20, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Okay. I will keep that in mind. I am going to try to just offer the chick feed for the first few weeks, once I add other treats I will be sure and add the grit.

Once I actually get out there to the store I'll see what is on the shelves. I just was trying to do some research ahead of time online. I appreciate the information and thank you all for taking time to help answer my questions.

8. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    I use dumor, which is TSC's brand. I've not had any problems. They have starter, Grower/finisher (for 10 weeks to laying), and layer pellets and crumbles. I have all 3 out in my building.

9. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    Can you give them a sprinkle of chick grit on their feed anyway for "good measure"?

[​IMG]

Thank you

10. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You could ... but you also run the risk of creating a "too much of a good thing" problem if over done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by