Need Feedback ASAP - Updated and thanks for the replies.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, May 6, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I was just opening our new bag of chicken feed that was suppose to be Starter and Grow Crumbles, well it's NOT, It's Laying Mash and our chicks are only 3 weeks old, is it okay to give them this??? I won't be able to get a new bag of feed until Monday. What should I do???

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    You have no choice, really, they have to eat.

3. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    It's ok to feed to them until Monday. If you fed it long term, the calcium content is too high, and can harm their kidneys. Buy chick starter or grower on Monday, and save the mash for when they are older.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    They should be fine eating it for a few days. Long term it can damage their systems but a few days is OK.

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    FYI:
    Never give chicks adult feed. The minerals in it, especially calcium, which is important for laying hens, can severely damage a chick’s kidneys.
    Chicks, because they’re babies, need different kinds of food from adult birds. Commercial feed companies formulate chick starter feed with more of the protein that these babies need — 16 to 22 percent. They can transition to adult feed at about 16 weeks.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/content/knowhow/chicks/raising_chicks_chicken_feed

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks for your replies.

I was able to take it to my dad and he will take it back to the feed store tomorrow and get the Starter and Grow food, what is listed on the receipt. I am so glad I keep ALL receipts.

The mill is only open till Noon on Saturday's and I won't be home until around 3 or 4. I will give them some boiled eggs in the morning and that should tied them over until I get home and get the new feed from my dad.

I just can't beleive this happened and it was my fault. I have had so much going on this week I didn't even look at what the guy at the mill was handing me and its been in my car since I bought it on the 3rd. Just took it out tonight because my son has a fishing rodeo tomorrow to go to early in the AM. Well, I guess I can't blame myself entirely, I did give the guy at the mill the receipt and it written on there as plain as day; Starter & Grow. Oh well, lesson learned, look before I leave the site.

7. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    I am glad that it all worked out. I'd hate for your chicks to get sick.
    And it is not at all your fault. The guy at the feed mill clearly was not doing his job.
    Good luck with your babies! [​IMG]

8. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Thanks, I am going to give them some boiled eggs before I leave and hopefully that will tied them over for a bit. Is there anything else that I can give them? Crackers, bread??

9. lillie2202

lillie2202 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I had to feed my chicks the layer feed for 2 days they are doing fine no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by