need feedback please

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by crews28, Aug 27, 2014.

1. crews28

crews28 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2014
    Not sure where to put this post but I have some questions. Thank you for reading and responding.

1. I am trying to get a winter flock started to sell to hunting preserves
    Wanted to know how popular ducks are and turkeys as well as pheasants.
    Not trying to go into quail

2. What breed of said flocks do I need to get to make the most profit or in other words what is the most popular breed to sell to hunting preserves.

please help me to figure this out word of mouth is the best info we can find

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

If I were trying to do this, I would talk to my potential customers and find out what they want and are willing to pay for. It would be even better if you could have an agreement already in place before you buy your chicks/eggs. They may want to pay less than what you can raise them for, or they may want more than you can possibly raise. You won't know until you ask them.

1 person likes this.
  3. crews28

Aug 27, 2014
    Thats the problem I dont know anyone to sell to If i place a ad for either kind of breed I wont have the breed on hand was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
    I can make the money we need to survive all summer but winter is the delay i need to raise the type of breed that hunting preserves would buy in bulk and i can transport the birds across states if need be.

4. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

You are going to have to do some research and find the hunting preserves and find out if they are even interested in turkey or ducks. I would then find out if they are willing to buy them, but you will need to know how much you have to get to make a profit. There is a lot of research to do to get this set up, but once you do, I think it will be a great project!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    Just a thought. What about pheasants?

6. crews28

Aug 27, 2014
    well i am thinking pheasants ducks or turkeys just want to find out what type to start out with since each bird eats more and costs more to maintain

7. blkjak

blkjak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    Manitoba Canada
    My husband and my children hunt. My husband has paid to hunt pheasants on a farm where the birds are taken out and placed. Ofcoarse they did not shoot all the birds that were placed. Survival.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Hunting preserves as well as State and Federal Departments of Fish and Game want wild bird species , and set the numbers of excess birds to be released . NO crossbred to domestic ones at all . Not to mention that the birds have to be fully mature , fully feathered and WILD -- NOT TAME. You also have to be fully licensed through the State and Federal Agencies to raise and transport wild game species.. Court dates and the resulting fines are NO FUN ! What is your location ? Just how much very rural land do you have for a project such as this ? Do you have large covered flight pens ? In case for ducks or geese do you have large wire covered water ponds ? Are you prepared to raise a few dozen, hundreds or even thousands ? You will want to have a purchase contract in place before you make a financial commitment to raise X number of birds with a hunting preserve or farm. [​IMG]

9. crews28

Aug 27, 2014
    I have over 200 acres of land
    Almost all of my land is pasture land and can be converted into thosands of small to very large pens.
    I dont have a lot of cash and I will not borrow money from a bank so its more or less 1-2 pens a month right now.
    Thats the pure breed chicken part during summer to winter.

Winter I need to raise either turkey pheasant or duck all will be wild very wild but i can only afford to start with one type of bird.
    I live in Alabama and i was aware of NPIP certification but was not aware of any type of special wild bird license to be able to sell in this state.

Please if anyones finds any more info about this let me know.
    But i have plenty of land to do whatever i need to do I just need some input from people who might have been thru this or are currently doing this now.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I think yoir biggest problem will be that game birds are seasonal layers. Which means many months of the year you will be feeding non producing birds. The fencing needed to enclose truly wild game birds is going to be very expensive to build and maintain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by