Need fencing advice, wire or electric poultry fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sonya9, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    Situation is this, the coop (for 3-4 chickens) will be built right outside of my yard/dog fence. I originally planned to use 6' galvanized wire and netting on top to create a 25 x 25 foot pen for them. Thing is from what I hear 3-4 chickens could clean out all of the grass and other foliage in the pen and that would be a shame as there is a big 1 acre open field back there.

I have dogs and some have a very high prey drive, if the chickens free ranged and decided to jump the fence into the dog yard it could easily mean certain death. The dog yard fencing is hog fencing, heavy metal with 4" x 4" squares.

I am now thinking about using electric poultry netting so they could have a bigger area in the back field and so I could easily move it and give them more fresh grass as needed, also with electric fencing i could double their fencing area if I wanted too without much cost. Is this doable and safe? Will 48" electric poultry netting keep them from flying out and entering the dog yard? Are the chickens smart enough to AVOID the yard with the scary barking dogs?

Cost is also a factor, I would like to keep this under $250 total for fencing, Looks like the initial electric poultry fencing would run about $150 or so but the chargers vary a LOT in price. The house is only about 40 feet away from the chicken yard so an indoor charger is an option, but the battery chargers look awfully nice too. Any thoughts on if this seems like it would work? Keep the chickens safe and also any advice on inexpensive fence chargers?

Photo of the yard below (taken last spring when things were green, that back field will be a chicken nirvana with tons of bugs, grass, wild blackberries etc... most of the year). Chicken coop will be right outside the gate in the picture with the chicken run going back so hopefully they will have some trees etc...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by