Need For Water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by R&RCoop, Nov 2, 2009.

1. R&RCoop

R&RCoop Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Wanted to ask a quick question. Just had 1 egg hatch, how quickly to they need water? I know food it a day or two, but not sure about water. We have a hen laying on them to hatch, still have 1 left and are planning on having the hen stay with them for a few days. Do we need to handle them and make sure they get water? They are in a cardboard box with bedding w/ chick water container and feeder.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've never hatched under a broody, but from what I've read, mom will teach them to drink and eat.

3. R&RCoop

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thank you, just making sure they didn't need it in an hour or something. Thought I read a post some where that they took the chick out and gave them water and put them back. Just want to make sure we don't neglect anything. I am sure the hen will take care of them, just our first time so we are on the worrying side.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Well, I CAN tell you that mine were in the incubator for a full day after hatching before they got water and they were all fine.

5. R&RCoop

Oct 28, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Perfect, we will not worry then. Just making sure it was not an hour or so, something drastic like that. Thank you for all the help. We will enjoy more now and worry less....[​IMG]

6. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    They can go up to 3 days without food or water. My newest chicks were mailed out the day they hatched and then spent two days in the mail and all arrived fine.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by