Need garden answer ASAP! Hot wx coming- should I harvest all greens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SeaChick, Jun 7, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi gardeners-
    I hope someone can help me out this morning!!
    We have a really drastic weather change coming in a few hours. It has been cool for weeks and my lettuce and spinach are doing great.

It is going to be 78/partly sunny today and 88 -and sunny- tomorrow. I'm afraid everything will start bolting and the lettuce will get bitter. How fast does that happen?? Should I harvest things right now? Tomorrow morning?

I have never had such a great crop of early greens, the weather has just been perfect for them, and I don't want the lose them or have them go bitter. So I appreciate any advice!!

Thanks
    Stacey

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it were me I would harvest all that I could realistically eat (or in the case of spinach, freeze), and let the rest of it take its chances. You can periodically sample what remains in the ground, and if you suspect it's starting to taste bitter or looks like it is starting to bolt, pull it up and give it to neighbors

Good luck,

Pat

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Is it large enough to harvest? We are having the same issue and though I'm not sure I have the right answer it's what I was gonna try.

I was going to get burlap or something that can provide shade to my lettuce and create a sun barrier. But get in there are water early, and maybe again with a spritz to cool it down during the heat of the day.

4. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Thanks guys-

Some is head lettuce (romaine and butter) and some is baby cutting greens. The spinach is just past the "baby" stage and I was hoping for a little more growth. I think I will take my chances today and harvest early tomorrow morning, since tomorrow is the real scorcher. Luckily we are having friends over for dinner tomorrow eve so we can have a REALLY BIG SALAD.......

Stacey

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Seachick! You are so organized and together! I don't even have my garden in yet. [​IMG]

Congrats to Olivia btw, I voted beaucoup times. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by