Need GEESE information **UPDATE-New gosling PICS**

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
I recently saw someone selling geese and they were pecked clean almost from being in a very small cage together with no water to drink. It has been bothering me.

I may go back and just get all of them because I feel so bad, but don't know what they eat, housing, I know nothing about geese. I also don't have the money to buy housing or make housing. Could I turn a pool over and could they go in there at night? The woman told me geese are mean and I have children, should this be a problem? Will they bother my chickens? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I would really love any information I can get since I am planning on stopping in and possibly buying them this morning! Anyone??? I don't want to buy them and not know what I am doing.

hey!

just some quick thoughts - first if you can get them for nothing go ahead. you can always sell/rehome them later if you are really concerned.

here are my thoughts:

* geese are really low impact - compared to others EASY
* they are really self sufficient - if they can free range you dont need to feed them much. they will eat grass - but if those are in distress you can get a bag of turkey or waterfowl mix
* easy housing - whatever you have for now - can you even let them be in the garage? they go in at nite
* we let ours roam around but the smallest fence will keep them in
* are they mean - well see my signature. however my gander is older and mostly just protecting his ladies -- see others for how they snuggle their geese.
* they are fun and interactive - much different than other poulty
* they dont need a pond - even if you have a kiddie pool or a big waterer thats fine

let us know how it goes and if there are specific questions. basically a bucket of water and let them be in the grass

you can work on better housing later if you can save them go right ahead!

Geese are major grazers, love eating grass. Other than that, just regular grains or whatever like a chicken would eat....you might be able to find waterfowl food if you have anywhere around that carries it.

Geese can be mean, just depends. So if they are mean, they could get after your kids....you'd just have to be cautious.

They don't have to be able to get all the way into water, but give them something deep enough that they can put their heads all the way in. It helps them keep their face and eyes clean.

As for their shelter, just whatever safe place you can provide them....

Thanks for the info....GOOD to know that even a small fence could keep them in since I am not up to surrounding my area with expensive fencing....thank you so much! Now I am leaning toward getting them.

I hope they aren't angry from the terrible treatment they have experienced so far. THey are so jammed in the cage one was almost on its side. Sorry for the graphic details but I couldnt' sleep thinking about it. No feathers on their backs either.

How nice of you to want to rescue the abused geese!
Did you get them?
They will need some time and alot of TLC & goosies snacks to come around.
Post pics of them!
See my websites raising waterfowl tip page for some advise on raising geese .

Last edited:
Those poor babies! Geese don't need high protein feed, in fact, it is not good for them, nothing higher then 16%, try to find duck or waterfowl feed, it has the niacin they need in it. Sounds like they could use some with the state they are in.

Small fences will keep them in, but not protect them from predators, like dogs, so be careful. Most prefer to stay outside, but will go in if that is where their food is.

Good news, they usually don't carry a lot of diseases like chickens do.

I would like for you to describe how much land you have , do you live on a city lot? etc, etc.

I might have missed it, but exactly how many geese ?? How old are they ??

Quote:
hey Cottage Rose! glad to see you piped in... hopefully she's on her way to get them .. cant wait to hear what happens. we'll get her over to the goose lovin' side (even if you have to wrassle a gander every once in a while)
:)

I thought I would update and let you know what I found out. There are 6 left and Unfortunately all together they would cost me over 50 dollars. (which is hard to come by right now)

They are about 4 weeks old and he is not sure if they are boys or girls.

Also, we are having an awful storm with high winds, cold and lots of rain and i don't have shelter for them from the rains. (We have lots of preditors around here too) I did check craigslist for a used dog house and found nothing.

So, I am in a little bit of a predicament and going to wait to see what hubby has to say. I am still working on this though. Thanks for your support. I know with some love they could be beautiful and happy.

Back
Top Bottom