Need Genetics Help to Improve Lacing on GL Cochin Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Coopa Cabana, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    I know that poor lacing on the Golden Laced Bantam Cochins is a typical problem - I'm hoping to hear how some of you work to improve the lacing. The issue is with my hens - they have nice lacing on the breasts, but the backs are a mess. They are either peppered/mossy, or the black lacing is way too thick - you can barely see the gold. If I'm understanding my genetics books, it's the Co Columbian gene that's responsible for pushing the black to the feather edges. Would that mean they are incomplete for the Columbian gene? Would breeding in a Buff Columbian help? And if so, should I use my GL roo on a BC hen, or a BC roo on my GL hens? If that's not the way to go, what are some other options? Or do I just keep culling?

These pics aren't the best - but I think you can see what I'm referring to - these 2 are sisters, both hatched in May of last year. Does the lacing get any better with the next molt?

I'm also seeing some "shafting" in the feathers. How do I eliminate the shafting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't breed laced birds, so this is book knowledge, not experience. Heavy lacing is due to carrying only one copy of Pg. I don't think Co is a factor, although a Co/Co bird would certainly be better than a Co/co+

The first bird looks much better than the second.

Here is a reference for you:
    http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern scroll down just past the tables.

Hopefully Henk will weigh in.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Curious on the answer to this...... [​IMG]

4. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanx for the link, Suze - I hadn't seen that one. I know the 3 genes for the single lacing are Pg, Co and Ml - but trying to figure out what I'm lacking or have too much of is a quandry. I've also read that the mossiness could be due to too much Ml. The reason I was thinking it might be the Co is because of the placement of the lacing - good on the breast, but bad on the back.

This all reminds me of my plant books - try and look up why you have a brown tip on a leaf - they'll tell you it's either due to too much sun, not enough water, all of the above, or none of the above!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Perhaps Db? Look through the tables that I had you scroll past. I don't think it is a lack of Co. Not positive, but ...

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Does the father of the hens have a red wing bay or a black wing bay?

Tim

7. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Is the wing bay another term for either the wing bar or wing bow, or something else?

This is the sire:
    [​IMG]

I only have this one pic of him with his wings open:
    [​IMG]

And this is the brother to the 2 pullets (all same hatch):
    [​IMG]

And this is the mother:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  8. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

Tim

9. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you! Then the answer is red! What does that suggest is my best next breeding route?

10. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I think your birds are not purebred for all the genes they need for making better lacing. I think they are missing a columbian gene and a pattern gene. Most hobby breeders that are starting to work with chickens usually do not hatch enough eggs. I will hatch from 20 to 100 birds each time I do a cross. It just depends on the probabilities of getting the genotype a person wants in a bird.

Cross the two best (lacing) birds you have.

1. Find some people to take any birds you do not want.

2. Hatch as many birds as you can afford to raise. I would hatch at least 20 birds.

3. Pick out the best birds from all of your birds and cross them. ( hatch as least 20)

4. Your lacing should be improved in the offspring from the last cross.

The shafting will disappear when the middle of the feather becomes a gold color. The shaft of the feather is showing up because of the black in the feather.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by