Need good extra crunchy recipe for fried chicken **UPDATE***

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Laskaland, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Hi!
    Anyone have a sure fire, extra crispy recipe for fried chicken coating? I am feeding the in-laws tomorrow night.
    THANK YOU
    Christina

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I like to pressure cook or bake my chicken the day before I'm going to fry it with some really good spices and put it in the frig overnight...it needs to sit in the frig overnight to get good and chilled or it will fall apart. Then when you fry it you can get your oil really hot and fry the coating really fast because the chicken is already done and all your doing is warming it through. Hot, fast frying gives you an extra crispy coating.

When you make your coating use salted, seasoned flour and put baking powder in your flour. Then make an egg wash out of eggs and heavy cream...it will be nice and thick. Dunk the chicken in the flour...making sure to knock off the excess flour... then the egg wash and then back in the flour. Fry in hot oil until it's a lovely golden brown.

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This isnt actually frying, but Shake and Bake Extra Crispy is just yummy, I fix it rather than frying.

4. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG]

In-laws didn't come that night, but I made the chicken anyway [​IMG]

It was yummmmmie!!
    Thank you for all the suggestions.
    Hugs
    Christina
    (who used a new cast iron pan!)

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    WOW!!! That looks wonderful...now I'm hungry.

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks delicious!

I think I just drooled on the keyboard!

7. Laskaland

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Thanks sweeties. I never made fried chicken from scratch before...it was fun! And it was yummie....

Hugs
    Christina

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That looks absolutely perfect. Wow. [​IMG] Now I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard.

Did you use any special spices?

9. Poorfarmer

Poorfarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2008
    Sherburne NY
    The in laws missed some really good looking fried chicken. eggcellent job, now i am hungry again. you probably used 10 secret ingredints right
    [​IMG]

10. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think she is talkin'! I think she is working on packaging her secret spices to sell to the rest of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by