Need good treats to keep rooster quiet.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by macdoogle2, Dec 10, 2011.

1. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Whenever my rooster gets to loud I spread scratch and BOSS around the run. This keeps him entertained and quiet for a while. What else can I give him and the hens. I've tried cabbage hanging from a string. I only do this on my day off or weekends. I think he has figured out my work schedule. The run is 200sq feet. I only let them freerange when I'm home as we have hawks. Is their such a thing as Rooster toys? Other then the hens, I mean. If you haven't figured this out yet We are not realy allowed Roosters in this hood. No one has complained yet and I want to keep it that way. He is a very sweet boy.

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    I hate to be the one to tell you this, But you can't stop him! I don't understand why folks don't like Roos since they are part of what makes a flock a flock.

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'm afraid you may be fighting a battle there's no way of winning. Roosters don't crow because they are bored or hungry, they crow because that's what they do and it's just part of their natural behavior as they court hens, communicate with other roosters, announce themselves to "trespassers," etc...

Best case, you won't be able to do much about it. Worst case, you might actually TRAIN him to crow so he'll get treats! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by