need great pyr advice

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Kristina, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Hey All!

We had been researching Great Pyr's for a while and decided that they would be a great LGD for our home. Well we found a breeder and got out pup on Saturday. HE is 4 months old and already huge. "Bucky" as named by the hubby has killed two chickens. (which is strange becasue he was born and raised up with chickens, turkeys, guineas, etc.)Needless to say that is not what I was expecting. Any helpful advice or tips? We are willing to work through whatever we need to but I figured someone with first hand experience may be able to help Thanks!

2. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I thought Great Pyr has a pretty high prey drive?? or territorial or protective?? I have a story in Countryside magazine about a couple that has 2 Great Pyr and they kill coyotes, I would think a chicken would be nothing even to a 4 mth old. I would call the breeder and question them. Maybe they can give you some suggestions.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    That is very odd. We use to raise G. Pyrennes and never had any problem with them attacking livestock. We still have one to this day.
    How did you go about introducing the dog to the chickens? The pup, if raised in the pen with the other livestock should have no problem as long as the initial introduction was done gradually and guarded. Did you get the dog mainly for the livestock or as a pet?

4. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Did you witness the incident? I am thinking that as a pup, he may have gotten a little too playful and killed them by accident. You have to remember that at his previous home, he probably had Mom or Dad around to monitor his behavior and it will take awhile for him to grow into his job. Yes, he was bred for the job but is still a baby.

5. unlikelyfarmers

unlikelyfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2007
    We just got a Great Pyrenees at 4 months also. We only have him out with our chickens and turkeys when we are out with him. I've read that they aren't really ready to guard the livestock until they are 18 months. He's off the leash with us and will occasionally run at the chickens and watch them scatter but never tries to attack them. If the chickens were near his food, that may be a problem. Ours is extremely protective of his food. I'm new at this too, just a thought.

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:I would break him of that habit FIRST. All of my dogs have to let anyone take thier bowl or any food away from them, you never know what a kid will do. Mine will allow food to be taken out of their mouth if I choose to do so.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, they are supposed to be guardian dogs but they do need training still. They have a low prey drive but have a very protective demeanor about what they have deemed as theirs. Good luck. I was thinking about getting one in the future.

8. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Thanks for the replies everybody...sorry it took me so long to get back. Anyway, he's doing much better right now. I think what nccatnip said is correct....he was trying to play with them and got to rough. We are doing some training with him and he is really smart. I'm VERY proud of him though!!! Yesterday morning about 5 A.M. there were all kinds of noise coming from the chicken yard. We went out with the flash light to check and he had a nabbed a opossum!! (which is where I think our eggs have been going) So yep I am proud of our pup!! I joined a couple yahoo groups on pyrs and got some training advice so I think things will be OK!

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Could you post the links to the groups? I would be interested in them.

Thanks,

Jean

10. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    Love to see a pic if you have one of the pup!

My hubby wants one of these, and yes, I do too - not ALL for the chickens, but as a buddy for the kids and to make sure they stay safe as well....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by