Need grounding rod ideas for electric netting (3ft grounding rod)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hayley3, Nov 10, 2019.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Songster

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Premier Fence wants $20 to ship a 3ft grounding rod which I think is absurd....so was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions. I've been using something a guy gave me but it really doesn't work that well. It has to be something that I can hammer in the ground.

Thanks,
    Cheryl

cavemanrich likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    You can try to pound in a 1/2 inch steel rod 4 foot length, into ground. Available for about $9 cash and carry from Home Depot. I know that most of the grounding rods, are copper plated, and Pricey, but bare steel should work for you. A galvanized steel pipe should work as well. You do need to make sure that your connection to wire is nice and clean.
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. SarahGfa

SarahGfa Songster

Jan 26, 2018
    San Jose, California
  4. CindyinSD

CindyinSD Free Ranging

I use T shaped grounding rods. I get them at Runnings Farm & Fleet. Any ground rod will do. I’ve even used a steel tent stake. Naturally longer is better, but sensitive noses will avoid any shock.

5. CindyinSD

CindyinSD Free Ranging

In Premier’s defense, it probably does cost them that much to ship. We’re All subsidizing Amazon, etc.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  6. pintail_drake2004

pintail_drake2004 Songster

Jun 12, 2017
    IL
    any home improvement store, or farm store will have grounding rods a lot cheaper than that.

Shezadandy and trumpeting_angel like this.
  7. sorce

sorce Songster

Aug 26, 2019
    That will be the last one you have to buy.
    You'll spend more $ on rebar in a few years.
    Copper ain't cheap.

Poor Ground No Electric No Chickens.
    They gotta be worth $20.

This Damn Car I bought ....
    They want me to put $40 of gas in it now?

Sorce

trumpeting_angel and Ridgerunner like this.
  8. hayley3

hayley3 Songster

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

The reason I was complaining is the ground rod is only $6 and shipping is $20. Just seemed excessive to me. I just purchased a cast iron meat grinder and they are only charging me $15 to ship and it weighs 20 lbs. If I feel the shipping is excessive I look for another avenue.

Also I live far away from Home Depot etc, and I don't have much strength to drive in a 6 or 8 ft post myself and don't know how I would cut one in half. I'm moving soon, back to civilization. Can't wait!

I did find a T-post with $9 shipping at RedstoneSupply.com

But my main reason for asking is I know many of you are creative and it never hurts to ask if you've found something cheaper/better that I don't know about. :)

9. hayley3

hayley3 Songster

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    At my farm store, they don't even know what rebar looks like. They know nothing about fencing they tell me.

cavemanrich and trumpeting_angel like this.
  10. hayley3

hayley3 Songster

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I will have to take a picture of what this guy gave me when I pull it from the ground. I have no idea what it is, but I did see it at Orscheln's.

cavemanrich likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: