Need Guard Dog for goats OREGON

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Holiday Angel, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Holiday Angel

Holiday Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Either need a dog or a Llama to guard my goats. If it is a dog it needs to be the kind that stays with them and that's what they do 24/7..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. bUg_Farm

bUg_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    On a mountain
    Goats are typically scared of dogs. Perhaps a llama would be better. Good luck with your search.

3. Holiday Angel

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Typically some are, mine are not because they are around them 24/7 but I am actually looking for a Great Pyrenees which are bred for doing just that. I understand there is yet another that is breed for this same thing only it will not allow a predator a chance to get away if it is after your goats, or sheep!
    Thank you for the response though.
    Blessings,
    Pauline

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  4. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    My uncle always keep Australian Shephards for his goat, chickens, cattle ect...

5. Holiday Angel

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Yes, we have one of those but it isn't much interested in the idea of walking the fence line and actually guarding the goats. Their tendency, from what I find, is to do things either by hand directions or with someone directing them.
    They are excellent dogs though for rounding them up..
    Blessings,
    Pauline

6. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    Anatolian shepard is the breed you want. over 3000 years of breeding to do exactly what you want. do some research then look at full circle farm. they have a litter on the ground right now. My male saved my ducks from an eagle yesterday.

7. Holiday Angel

May 26, 2008
    Sweet Home, Oregon
    Yes, thank you, that is exactly the right name and I sure do appreciate the information. This is not a common known name and I am ready to do the research you suggested. This information may well save many animals lives as we live right at the foot of many mountains with excessive predator's.
    Many blessings,
    Pauline

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I second the Anatolian suggestion--ours is AWESOME! You could also try a mini donkey jack....what is getting your goats?

9. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    the puppy in my avatar is just 13 months old .130 lbs and 30 inches tall. He saved our peking duck flock from an eagle attack yesterday. His mom is the one at full circle farm who just had a litter.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Burley--Awwww---he is so handsome! We love ours--he's only 1/2 Anatolian--but he's SOOO protective & brave! He guards the poultry, goats, horses and cats--not to mention our entire acreage as well as the neighbors! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by