Need Guidance: I have a broody hen and 2 day old purchased chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by will hunt for food, Jul 3, 2010.

1. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    One of my hens went broody a couple of weeks ago. I broke her by keeping her in a wire cage for a few days. I think she is broody again!

Well, yesterday I happened to purchase 3 one day old Welsumers. From what I understand, I can slip the chicks under her at night while she is sleeping in a nest box. But what then?

Do I just let her take care of raising the chicks while the rest of my adult birds are in the coop/run to? I have 7 other adult hens. How do I make sure the chicks get starter feed and water while they are in the care of the broody hen?

Do I have to separate the broody hen and chicks to a different area? I only have 1 coop and run attached to it.

Any help will be appreciated. I am about to go to tractor supply and just buy another wire cage: 1 for the broody hen and 1 for the chicks in my garage. Geesh, things got a little complicated. [​IMG]

Thanks for any advice.

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I would separate your broody from the rest of the flock either by putting her in a broody coop or removing the flock and letting her have the coop. The rest of the flock might peck at the chicks. Momma will do the rest and care for the chicks. I let my Broody eat the same feed as the chicks - she wasn't laying anyway for about 6 weeks. When she finally layed an egg she was finished being broody and pecked at the chicks who were then 6 weeks. I kept mine separate but they did and ate everything she did and she ate. She did a wonderful job raising them and a couple of times when other hens came too close she protected the babies quite nicely.

Enjoy
    Caroline

3. will hunt for food

will hunt for food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    caroline, thanks for the response. The good news is my hen did not go broody again after all. She was in the nest to lay again! I am am very happy about the outcome since she is my best layer. I can't believe how quick she started to lay again. She is a sex-link Black Star, and an absolute laying machine. Thanks aagain for responding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by