Need guidance with cockerel

luckycluk

Songster
9 Years
May 31, 2014
Salisbury/Faith
I have a cockerel that is 22 weeks old along with 7 pullets that are 22 weeks. I also have 5 pullets. They were all raised from chicks and are one intergrated flock.
The problem I’m having is the cockeral has been getting aggressive with my 14 yr old grandaughter. When she goes into the run to feed/water them he is charging her. I went out after tgat about 4 days ago with my broken how handle in hand, went into run/attached coop area and he eyed me real hard but I hit the handle to the ground and told him no!! And then talked to him sternly. He had not bothered her again until today. My husband went back out to see n when he went in run he tried pecking n charging him. My husband popped him with his hand, he did this twice then he went about his business. With him being an adolescent do you think he will get more aggressive or is this something that cockerels go thru until he is mature? He has tried to mount the pullets a couple weeks ago. Do you think he is a frustrated teenager or he is turning into a mean roo? I started to list him to get rid of him, my husband says he will go with her and show her how to not let him dominate her. She has acted scared of him for the past 6 weeks and always runs from him. I’m not sure what to do, I don’t want my grandaughter or anyone hurt. It just isn’t worth it. We can always get another cockeral next spring n raise it with the pullets we have now they will be mature hens by then. Please any advise, experiences with cockerels would be so grateful. If anyone lives near me n wants him for the stew pot they are welcome to him as long as I don’t tell my grandaughter. Also if I decided not to keep him what to do with him? I’m not keen on culling him myself. Also I got him from TSC so I’m not sure of his breed . Does anyone have a guess of what breed he is? I have posted an older pic of him(taken about 6 weeks ago)

Attachments

• 49710ECF-AFDC-4DAF-976D-7A11BB44C61F.jpeg
    49710ECF-AFDC-4DAF-976D-7A11BB44C61F.jpeg
    517.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2F4328A1-CCB1-451B-A0B7-61A846BEC519.jpeg
    2F4328A1-CCB1-451B-A0B7-61A846BEC519.jpeg
    872.4 KB · Views: 6
I have a cockerel that is 22 weeks old along with 7 pullets that are 22 weeks. I also have 5 pullets. They were all raised from chicks and are one intergrated flock.
The problem I’m having is the cockeral has been getting aggressive with my 14 yr old grandaughter. When she goes into the run to feed/water them he is charging her. I went out after tgat about 4 days ago with my broken how handle in hand, went into run/attached coop area and he eyed me real hard but I hit the handle to the ground and told him no!! And then talked to him sternly. He had not bothered her again until today. My husband went back out to see n when he went in run he tried pecking n charging him. My husband popped him with his hand, he did this twice then he went about his business. With him being an adolescent do you think he will get more aggressive or is this something that cockerels go thru until he is mature? He has tried to mount the pullets a couple weeks ago. Do you think he is a frustrated teenager or he is turning into a mean roo? I started to list him to get rid of him, my husband says he will go with her and show her how to not let him dominate her. She has acted scared of him for the past 6 weeks and always runs from him. I’m not sure what to do, I don’t want my grandaughter or anyone hurt. It just isn’t worth it. We can always get another cockeral next spring n raise it with the pullets we have now they will be mature hens by then. Please any advise, experiences with cockerels would be so grateful. If anyone lives near me n wants him for the stew pot they are welcome to him as long as I don’t tell my grandaughter. Also if I decided not to keep him what to do with him? I’m not keen on culling him myself. Also I got him from TSC so I’m not sure of his breed . Does anyone have a guess of what breed he is? I have posted an older pic of him(taken about 6 weeks ago)
My other 5 pullets are 17 weeks old and none of my pullets are laying yet if this has any bearing on his behavior

No chicken is worth a child getting hurt.

Some people have, with patience and determination, managed to modify a cockerel's aggressive behavior, but I personally don't think it's worth it.

People are always sadly rehoming or eating gentleman roosters because they had too many. A nasty one makes a good pot of Arroz con Pollo.

That is what I am leaning towards. What to do with him? I don’t know if I can cull him, or do it humanly. My neither had chickens I may let him know he the situation and ask him if he wants him to do has he pleases. He has no children either.

Cockerels have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

Grab him, hold him by his feet, take the broom handle lay it on the ground. put his head under it, step on both sides, and give a quick hard jerk. If you can't eat him, plant a rose bush.

Thank you for your guidance
As i posted in my other post i rehomed kid rock and the lady free ranges all her chickens and she isolated him when she got him and he started acting mean. after a week of isolation she let him loose with her other 15 hens and he has really changed. I did find i had another cockerel in my flock must of been a late bloomer but he seems like he may be a good roo. i don’t see how i over looked him being a cockerel but when i came back from Fla from taking care of my sister for 6 weeks there he was. Mama me wonder if my husband did a switcharoo🤔he is beautiful but i sure do not recall having any pullet looking like that before i left

Attachments

• 0F442413-E0FC-40B6-AE55-D33898840B5B.jpeg
    0F442413-E0FC-40B6-AE55-D33898840B5B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 8DAE1425-0E4D-4841-A1BF-0FD9A4A2FFAB.jpeg
    8DAE1425-0E4D-4841-A1BF-0FD9A4A2FFAB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom