1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need hatching advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nimmy22, May 8, 2016.

1. nimmy22

nimmy22 New Egg

May 8, 2016
    Hi there, Im new to this site and looking for some much needed advice. I have a pipped egg but it has been 12+ hours now and there is no noise or movement and the membrane around the hole is looking dry and brown. I am really worried that chick has died any advice would be great [​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG] I see you posted quite a while ago with no response. What has happened since you posted?

3. nimmy22

nimmy22 New Egg

May 8, 2016
    Hi, unfortunately nothing else has happened what so ever [​IMG] does this mean it is definately died?

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There's a good chance. I'd take it out moisten the membrane and chip away the shell and find out. It's not uncommon for chicks to take up to 24 hours to hatch, but the more membrane exposed while they wait, the greater the chance of it drying out and gluing to the chick keeping it from progressing and brown/yellowish membrane does signify drying out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by