1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need heat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flytpm, May 9, 2009.

1. flytpm

flytpm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Cookeville,TN
    I'm a little nervous now. I bought six chicks off someone ages 4-7 weeks today and he said they're old enough to stay in coop without heat. Its suppose to be about 60 tonight, they have no heatlamp and I'm at work.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd be a little worried about the 4 week old chicks, especially if y'all are getting the cool, damp weather we are. The seven weekers should be fine though, especially if the previous owner already had them off heat.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Since the die is cast, there is little to do but fret.

4 weeks is a bit young, 7 weeks would be okay. If there are no problems, tomorrow make a cold brooder box. Just line a box with straw, hay, leaves or whatever and cover the front 2/3 down with a cloth curtain.

4. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    60 overnight,at 4-7 weeks? They'll be just fine. As long as they have dry bedding,no major drafts,& other buddies to snuggle with, No worries. [​IMG]
    I'm in Kansas,my newborns go out to the coop once they are dry in the bator, under a heat lamp,dry bedding. They do just fine w/ no heat in daytime in 60+ temps once they have started to feather out a bit,as long as there's no storms,rain,lots of wind. Breed does make a difference, however. I wouldn't leave tiny bantams out, but I have no problems w/ my healthy,stout kids such as Buff Orps,RIR, & EEs ,etc.,both from the hatchery & hatched from my gals.
    As long as as it is a warm,sunny day,I slowly wean mine off the heat lamp, the more REAL sunlight the better. AT 2 weeks or so, if temps are sunny & in the 70's & no wind I will let mine out on grass in the sun,they grow SO much faster. Key is to watch them,if they are running about exploring,they are fine,huddling together or piling up,too cold.
    I have seen broodies take chicks out in 30 degree weather,& they seem just fine,just run to Mama when cold. I personally believe too much coddling weakens the stock.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Oh, dear me! The voice of reason - thank you!

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Oh, dear me! The voice of reason - thank you!

I agree with Tornado. They're livestock, not parakeets.

7. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:you said it [​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I think I'm gonna faint. Reasonable people who have yet to use the word "babies?"
    I'm in swoon...

9. KsTornado11

KsTornado11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hey David? My BABIES said to tell you hello! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by