need help 10 chicks are died and another chick looks sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kar8mr, Sep 3, 2016.

1. kar8mr

kar8mr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    This started Wednesday one chick looked sick immediately I removed the sick chick. Came couple hours later 3 died chicks and another sick. Immediately I removed the sick chick. This has been a cycle, but the cycle has changed. The first 7 chicks that got sick started off with moving very slow, puffed up feathers and then lethergic, diarrhea, at that point they stop eating and drinking and a couple hours they are died. Yesterday. I had three more chicks start showing different signs thursday, they are hunched up, eyes closed all the time and barely moving, pop seems normal and then the next day it becomes paralyzed and couple hours later they died. I'm at a lost, thought it was cocci, started medince, vitamins and some of the sick look like they were getting better and then couple hours later they went back to become sick and dying. I have separated all sick chicks when they show signs, I'm down to 5 5 months chicks and went to check on them this morning and one is showing signs of beginning to be sick. My older chickens are way away from them and I have now one showing signs of the same thing. Everyone is being treated for cocci but its like the medicine is not helping. I have examined all the sick no hard crops, no mites, nothing seems out of place. One other thing I noticed the leghorn chicks took longer time to go through the cycle, the sexlinks die within hours of showing the first sign. The other thing my neighbors have free range chickens and none of them are sick. I'm at a lost of what this is, I'm afraid I will have to watch more chickens or all of them go through this. Any advice helpful because I have come to a brick wall on what this is

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    pics of chicks, chickens, brooder, poop
    videos

pictures are very helpful

3. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    what medicine are you giving?

4. kar8mr

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    They all are on cord 9.6%
    , the chick is just in beginning stage,it's just laying there not eating or drinking. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    how hot is it?

6. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    how long have they been on corid? Can they get out of the sun? cool clean water?

7. kar8mr

Jul 26, 2008
    upstate,sc
    Lately weather is 75 to 92,been on cord since Wednesday, they have a large area to get out of the sun and water is cool and clean, hot days I stick ice cubes in water and make them frozen treats

8. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    great!

9. DwayneNLiz

Jun 18, 2013
    NH

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  10. kar8mr