1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help 1st time having chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sugarchicken, Apr 25, 2017.

1. sugarchicken

sugarchicken New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    I have 2 baby chicks 1 BO and1 leghorn. I believe they are 3 weeks old give or take a few days. My concern is the BO is acting pretty aggressive (i think). 1 min she's flying and jumping twards the leghorn then next she's cuddling next to her. She seems to be a bully. Not sure if this is normal or not.sometimes i think they're just playing because they aren't pecking to hurt each other and they dont like being apart. Can someone please look at her pics and make sure she is not really a he? This 1st time momma is stressing out!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - unfortunately there are not images showing in the post, hopefully you can get them to display so that we can take a look and (hopefully) answer your question about gender (though three weeks is a bit early to be sure in many cases). That being said, the behavior you are describing is very common in chicks and is not necessarily indicative of gender. What is the square footage of your brooder? Are there any toys or other diversions available to your chicks? Are these the only two birds you intend to have? Are you permitted to have roosters where you live (many localities prohibit keeping them) and, if not, have you considered what you will do if one bird is male not only to re-home that bird but to provide an appropriate companion for your remaining bird?

3. sugarchicken

sugarchicken New Egg

Apr 25, 2017
    Utah
    Hello ol grey mare, i have 2 other older hens 1 is a Buff and the other is a black speckled (cant remember the name). Im not sure why the picture didn't post. I have them in a converted XL dog crate. I think boredom could definitely be a possibility.They aren't hurting each other and do not like to be separated what so ever. What type of toys would you suggest? Also when do you transition them to the coop? I have heard so many different opinions on when i can take them outside for exploring and when to introduce them to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by