Need help - 5 week old chick with foot sores/scab that look terrible

LesGan

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Columbiana, Alabama
5 week old chick incubated and raised by hen, 4 siblings, dirt run outside and have been out since 1 week of age, gets along with the other "bigs" without problem, on starter feed and some chick medicated feed. This chick is smaller than the others, has started an odd gimpy gate, has one middle toe turned in and skin on toes looks red. It also looks as if it has smooth skin on the tops of toes instead of scales like the others. I caught the chick and was mortified by the condition of its feet. The skin on the top and bottom is yellowish and peeling off, brown scabs on bottom of foot and some black round "growths" between the toes and around some nails. Chick also looked to have the same yellowish scab thing by its comb and on the wing joint next to body when the wing is fanned out. I soaked the feet in watered down betadine, gobbed on neosporin and bandaged with vetwrap. I put blue-kote on the spots not covered by the bandages. Gave it 3 drops of baby vitamins without iron, I have isolated the chick so I can treat and assess as to what it might have. What does it sound like, what can I do for it? Antibiotic and what dose? My granddaughter's favorite chick and I will do everything I can to help it. Chick is eating and drinking just fine and attemped to keep up with other chicks although it would ocassionally take a nap when the others would be off exploring.

The other chicks are 1/3 again the size of this one and don't appear to have the look of the feet like this one. I will check each one tomorrow. I have searched and cannot find anything that sounds just like this. Thank you for any assistance.

i'm not sure what it is, but i would put some neosporin on the areas just to be on the safe side, will sub to see what others say...

Soaked in diluted betadine today, lifted some of the scabs off, slathered in neosporin and rewrapped in vetwrap. A few of her toes have little black "balls" on them encasing her toenails. Could not get photos, but could surely use some ideas of what to do for her. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom