Need Help/Advice for baby chicks šŸ„

BrittsChicks

Chirping
Jan 11, 2015
So Iā€™ve had many chickens for over the course of a decade...
Iā€™ve never vaccinated...Iā€™ve lived on 3 different properties and Iā€™ve NEVER had a sick chicken until my recent purchase of vaccinated chickens...
I purchased 18 chickens who were given a lot of vaccinations...(in fact as I was paying the lady had syringes in her hands waiting for me to drive away so she could vaccinate more)...
Fast forward...2+ weeks after I bring home the chickens one of the two that I had at home got a NASTY cough....
I gave her Tylan 200 injectable orally for 5 days and she has completely recovered. šŸ™šŸ»
In the meantime I have lost two of the new girls that I purchased to this same horrible illness despite the Tylan. šŸ˜”
My vet prescribed me Tylan soluble for the rest of the flock...
My question is...I have eggs in the incubator...What do I do???
Should I vaccinate the baby chicks after theyā€™ve hatched?! And with what?..Mareks and what else?...
I feel like buying these vaccinated chickens have perhaps doomed my future flocks?...šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Of course I didnā€™t know they were vaccinated until I got to this ladyā€™s farm after driving 2 hours to get there...and didnā€™t realize the possible repercussions of buying vaccinated hens.
This is so frustrating as Iā€™ve NEVER had to vaccinate any of my poultry and now am I doomed to do so for as long as these chickens live?..šŸ˜£

Where did the eggs in the incubator come fromā€”the new chickens? If they have some sort of respiratory disease, then any chicken that enters your coop will be prone to getting it for life. If the eggs are from those new chickens, it is good to know that mycoplamsa or MG can pass through hatching eggs.

I would have been suspicious of someone vaccinating birds they were selling. That could mean that they have carriers on their property. Mareks vaccine is the only one I have ever had given, and that was at the hatchery. It is too late for that once they are over a day old. I have both vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks and have never had a problem with Mareks.

You have 2 choices. Either take the birds back to the breeder, and she may refuse them. Or close your flock to any new birds for the life of these birds. Treat for diseases as they come. But to bring in new incubated chicks, they will be exposed.

A good way to identify the respiratory disease would be to sacrifice a sick chicken, cull it, and send the body into your state vet for a necropsy and diagnosis. Sorry that you are dealing with this mess.

Where did the eggs in the incubator come fromā€”the new chickens? If they have some sort of respiratory disease, then any chicken that enters your coop will be prone to getting it for life. If the eggs are from those new chickens, it is good to know that mycoplamsa or MG can pass through hatching eggs.

I would have been suspicious of someone vaccinating birds they were selling. That could mean that they have carriers on their property. Mareks vaccine is the only one I have ever had given, and that was at the hatchery. It is too late for that once they are over a day old. I have both vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks and have never had a problem with Mareks.

You have 2 choices. Either take the birds back to the breeder, and she may refuse them. Or close your flock to any new birds for the life of these birds. Treat for diseases as they come. But to bring in new incubated chicks, they will be exposed.

A good way to identify the respiratory disease would be to sacrifice a sick chicken, cull it, and send the body into your state vet for a necropsy and diagnosis. Sorry that you are dealing with this mess.
Thanks for your your reply...ā˜ŗļø
The eggs in the incubator are NOT from the new chickens... they were purchased online from an entirely different farm...
My husband is the nicest and has built me 4 different chicken coops on our farm but everyone is free range during the day... I just heard a chicken from a different coop sneeze this morning so Tylan will be going into their waterer now too.
I have 7 chickens in one coop (the layers, 2 who I had originally)
One favorited chicken in her own condominium by my bedroom window (her buddy was one of the ones that died and she gets picked on so sheā€™s my spoiled chicken now) ā¤ļø
And lastly I have 10 younger chickens (4-5 month olds in their own coop;...where I heard one sneeze this morning)...šŸ˜£
If you have vaccinated chickens with non vaccinated chickens then maybe Iā€™ll just not vaccinate the babies and Iā€™ll just keep them in a completely separate coop...
My only worry is that when they all free range...

Back
Top Bottom