Need help/advice/opionions on how to proceed- found dead hen in coop...

Thank you boskelli, I wish you the best as well. Thank you also for your service as a nurse. That is not an easy job!

.....*Chuckles*, ... glad I'm not the only one talking to the chickens.
big_smile.png
Animal-human bonds amaze and fascinate me.

Well, no chicken deaths today so far. My other Barnevelder is doing fine. I think the spots on her comb are from mating. They don't look exactly like fowl pox. I kept her overnight and there was no indication of anything serious going on. It was the same in the coop today-all seems well and fine. Luckily we are having a warm day today and the snow is melting so the chickens are out having a good time. I opened up all the doors to try and air out the place. In the meantime, I had some time to investigate online about Barnevelder early sudden deaths, and it appears that it might be a breed thing. So strange! I hope one day we will know the answers as to why that occurs.

Talking of chickens..............in England there is such a thing as 'chicken therapy'. Older folks who are able to, are encouraged to keep a couple of hens or 'share' the neighborhood hens. Read it in Practical Poultry I think!

Talking of chickens..............in England there is such a thing as 'chicken therapy'. Older folks who are able to, are encouraged to keep a couple of hens or 'share' the neighborhood hens. Read it in Practical Poultry I think!
Oh totally can believe it! I've had friends come over and we sit and have some tea on the porch and we talk and watch the hens graze- I can't tell you how many times one of them has commented how peaceful it made them feel to see them. I've heard it said before also that having chickens is the best anti-depressant. My sister commented how she wished she could have her house surrounded by a flock since they bring a sense of fullness, joy and peace. Mind you, she may not have been thinking about all the times you have to scrape and wash the poo off the porch, or all those times you lost some new plants because of the chickens, but still, you have those moments where it is all worth it. My nieces and nephews seem to really love getting involved with them too. Last time my nephew was here he was talking about going into the chicken hatching business!

Did a little search on the chicken therapy in England and didn't find the Practical Poultry article, but found this one from the telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11198410/Chickens-helping-the-elderly-tackle-loneliness.html

There is a delightful video at the end of the article. What a wonderful idea. I wonder if it can be implemented in any way here in the states or if there would be strict laws against it? I ask that because I know some people think of chickens being dirty and carrying disease... and they can be, but if you have the right set up any danger of that can be greatly reduced. Before I got going with 'chicken math' (as they say) I had only 7 in my large coop and it was so easy to keep them clean, healthy and happy.

I've worked with cats and dogs and other animals before I had chickens, and they were all sweet and delightful, but I have to say hands down, in my opinion, chickens are the best out of all. I had no idea I'd ever feel that way about them and it still surprises me five years later that I find them so enjoyable.

I'm absolutely with you on that! After a rotten shift, I come home and sit in the garden with the girls. After a little chicken therapy, I always feel calmer and more positive. They can change your mood from gloomy to happy in just a few minutes.
I really want to see if it's a practical thin here in the US to start some 'chicken therapy' for the elderly.

Back
Top Bottom