Need HELP again,another silkie chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkiemom2, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Silkiemom2

Silkiemom2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I went out today and saw a chick hatching out,just its beak,came back in went out 2 hrs later,its out of the shell,but still has a lot of yolk hainging from its belly.Went out 2 hrs later,it was not under her,i picked it up and said omg another dead chick,i notices it move its head,i cuffed t in my hand brought it in and started warming it up,on a heating pad,it kept gasping for air,sat with it for an hour,finally its breathing normally,but a lot of yolk still attached it it,its weak,but is now chirping and moving around a little.Blood coming off from the stuff thats hanging on it.What can i do..please please i wanna save this little one...what can i do now.

2. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    Someone please help...

3. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    I applied a little neosporin .Heres the pics of it.[​IMG]

4. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    another[​IMG]

5. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    It is 100 % better then a few hours ago,will it dry up and fall off?[​IMG]

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That looks really bad. I'd soak the bum in warm water until it's cleaner. You're sure that's yolk and not intestine? The neosporin may get in your way while trying to clean her so I recommend using a bit of Dawn in the warm water to help cut through the greasy element. Her bum has got to be cleaned for hygiene and so you can assess the situation.

If all else goes well (food and water intake) the leftover yolk will dry up on its own. If it's intestine, the dittle will die. Make sure she has vitamins in her water.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  7. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    i was able to get her to drink a little warm gatorade.It looked a lot better and was drying up before i put the neosprin on it.I think its yolk,i never had this happen so bad with a chick before,how would i know if its intenstine?omg

8. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    It was a little bloody before too

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The yellow color makes me believe it's yolk that had 'popped' and looks elongated. I just had a duck born with the same thing and it didn't survive but 2 days. I've had a chick with it before and it made it. It seems to be about a 50/50% chance.

10. Silkiemom2

Apr 5, 2012
    Its coming from where the yolk is absorbed,his vent looks good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by