Need Help and Tips on how to Sex my Polish and Silkies

cbsimons

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
Hi-

A little background, this is my first time raising chicks. I bought 25 Pullets/Polish chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery and 5 Silkies/ straight run from Cackle Hatchery . I gave 15 away to my friends and I kept 10 of Polish and I lost both a polish and silkie
sad.png
So my 13 chicks are now about 5 weeks old. I had someone from a local feed store stop by and she told me I have almost all Rooster's because they have spurs, some dull and some pointy. I called the hatchery and they explained that's not a good way to determine sex on Polish's and remember I paid for Pullets for the Polish's knowing there is a 90 percent success rate. They said the girls have more of a Pom Pom head and softer feathers and the roosters are rougher feeling and stringy feathers & head feathers.... I don't want roosters, and being a new chicken person I am having a difficult time figuring it all out. So I know so many of you are chicken experts and I need your help!!! Do you have any tips or ideas on how to sex both my Polish's and my Silkies, I really don't want to wait until the first crow. I am happy to attach pictures if necessary. Thank you all so much!!!

I know they are high maintenance for sure but I live on a ranch and have a wonderful huge outdoor space for them that is part of our horse area that is all fenced both side and top for predator protection and directly connected to their coop. I will attach pictures ASAP, thank you.

The Boy silkies hair is swept back more while the females hang in their face. Also the roosters have longer and thicker legs.

I know these aren't the best pictures I will try to take better ones tomorrow.

Its very hard to sex polishes and silkies. I think the males have more crest on them than females. The white one looks a little bit like it might be a rooster, but its hard to tell for sure. Good luck with your flock!!
1f600.png

Its very hard to sex polishes and silkies. I think the males have more crest on them than females. The white one looks a little bit like it might be a rooster, but its hard to tell for sure. Good luck with your flock!!
1f600.png
I have found in the polish I have raised that until they're adults the males actually have a smaller crest :)

Back
Top Bottom