1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help and Tips on how to Sex my Polish and Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cbsimons, Apr 6, 2017.

1. cbsimons

cbsimons New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Hi-

A little background, this is my first time raising chicks. I bought 25 Pullets/Polish chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery and 5 Silkies/ straight run from Cackle Hatchery . I gave 15 away to my friends and I kept 10 of Polish and I lost both a polish and silkie[​IMG] So my 13 chicks are now about 5 weeks old. I had someone from a local feed store stop by and she told me I have almost all Rooster's because they have spurs, some dull and some pointy. I called the hatchery and they explained that's not a good way to determine sex on Polish's and remember I paid for Pullets for the Polish's knowing there is a 90 percent success rate. They said the girls have more of a Pom Pom head and softer feathers and the roosters are rougher feeling and stringy feathers & head feathers.... I don't want roosters, and being a new chicken person I am having a difficult time figuring it all out. So I know so many of you are chicken experts and I need your help!!! Do you have any tips or ideas on how to sex both my Polish's and my Silkies, I really don't want to wait until the first crow. I am happy to attach pictures if necessary. Thank you all so much!!!

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    It would be great if you could attach some pics.

3. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Pictures would be great, you picked the WORST first chickens as far as easy to sex and easy to free range...

4. cbsimons

cbsimons New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    I will take pictures, thank you

5. cbsimons

cbsimons New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    I know they are high maintenance for sure but I live on a ranch and have a wonderful huge outdoor space for them that is part of our horse area that is all fenced both side and top for predator protection and directly connected to their coop. I will attach pictures ASAP, thank you.

6. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    The Boy silkies hair is swept back more while the females hang in their face. Also the roosters have longer and thicker legs.

7. cbsimons

cbsimons New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know these aren't the best pictures I will try to take better ones tomorrow.

8. Leah567

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Its very hard to sex polishes and silkies. I think the males have more crest on them than females. The white one looks a little bit like it might be a rooster, but its hard to tell for sure. Good luck with your flock!![​IMG]

9. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I have found in the polish I have raised that until they're adults the males actually have a smaller crest :)

10. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I had two buff laced ones like yours, they could literally be twins but both of mine were boys :( Hopefully yours arent!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by