Need HELP Anyone please advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starryeyes, Apr 28, 2009.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    A chick hatched today he had a real hard time getting out he is way biger then the one that hatched 2 days ago. He still has a small amount of yolk left hanging dwn, But he has some kind of bloody blob bulging from his vent ??? What is this? I cant take a picture because i dont want to open the bator. I hope he makes it he seems strong and is chirping away and hoping around. Any information would be great.

Starry new chick mom worried

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Sounds as if he hasn't absorbed all of the yolk yet. Just keep an eye on him and make sure the other chick doesn't peck at the area. Hopefully the yolk will be absorbed in a short time and the chick will be OK. Let nature take its course for now I'd say.[​IMG]

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's probably just the membranes bunched behind him. Your humidity is too high which is causing the yolk to not fully absorb and the membranes not to break off. The membranes should stick to the egg, not the chick. There's a high chance you will lose him. [​IMG] Chicks that don't absorb their yolks are what I call "high risk." If he survives a week, he'll be good to go. [​IMG]

4. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    humidity has been at 60 to 65 % but when they start to hatch it jumps to 70%. I think next round i will try to keep humidity at 30 to 40 till day 18. Thanks for the advice

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It depends where you live and the weather too. I ran my humidity at 65% all 21 days and everyone absorbed everything just fine and were wet enough to slip out of the egg with no problems. But today it's very windy and VERY dry and my eggs are drying out even at 75% humidity. Try 45-50% till day 18 and then bump it up. There's a lot of trial and error with hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by