1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NEED HELP ANYTHING COUNTS !!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Urbanfarmer26, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Urbanfarmer26

Urbanfarmer26 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    So after ordering 2 baby chicks from the local feed store there is only 2 weeks left until they hatch. And now my husband and family are completely against chickens !!! My husband who's brother has chickens, coop smells really bad and In the summer there would be a horrific stench and also tons of flies . So now there thinking that my coop will stink. They were planning on throwing away my supplies but I hid them around the garage . I really want to have the chickens and I don't mind cleaning but I still want to avoid the muck and stench in the summer any advice on how to convince them . And also how to maintain a coop in a very very rainy climate such as western canada

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    A chicken coop should not have an unbearable stench. One that does is not being looked after properly. I completely clean my coops out monthly and spot-clean every day. Use pine shavings or straw as litter. We can get quite a bit of rain here in IL too. I use mulch or gravel to cover up muddy spots. Good ventilation is essential in a coop as well, especially during the summer. I think flies come with chicken coops to some extent, but there are steps you can take to limit them. Scoop out any big piles of poop or other waste (hence spot-cleaning) and any older table scraps you may give. Chickens are very rewarding to have, and it's not really fair to you to not get to have them just because of your husband's brother's poor sanitary practices. But that's just my humble opinion.

3. Urbanfarmer26

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks so much. Also is it okay if i cover there run with plywood at the top?

4. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Shouldn't be a problem. I've done that to offer shade as well.

5. Urbanfarmer26

Feb 14, 2016
    Thanks so much what do you use to put in the chicken run I'm planning to build it on a layer of mulch

6. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I use mulch as well. However, I have to frequently replace it. Rain water usually washes it away.

7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    pine shaving absorb the smell you can also put some lime on the floor of the coop to help with smell too, as for the flies a ton of people swear by BSFL (Blask Soldier Fly Larva) it seems that they keep the other types of flies population down go with about 4sq. foot per chicken in the coop and 10 in the run. What kind of chickens did you get because some are stinkier than other breeds.

8. Urbanfarmer26

Feb 14, 2016
    I have a choice of either any heritage breeds or bovan browns (sex links )

9. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Your coop & run should not stink. We have no flies and no odor. We have 6 chickens and I spend maybe 10 min./day plus 2 big clean-outs a year to keep things clean and odor free.

We use pine shavings in our coop and 'deep litter' in our (covered) run. Ventilation in the coop is also important, a dry, open coop smells a lot less than a damp, stuffy coop.

In our coop we have a poop board under the roost which collects most of the dropping. The poop board is filled with StallDry (PDZ) which absorbs odor and moisture. I sift that out every day or 2 and throw it on the compost pile. That makes great garden fertilizer! The floor has about 6" of pine shavings which absorb anything else. Every few days I fluff the shavings with a rubber broom. We clean that out twice a year (spring & fall) and till it into the garden.

In our run, we have grass clippings, straw, hay, leaves, garden debris and pine needles. We add to it through out the year. It's probably 8 or 10" deep. Their dust bath is also in the run, filled with wood ash and peat moss, they fling it around so that gets mixed in as well. The poop falls to the earth underneath and decomposes. It usually stays dry since the run is covered but if the rain or snow blows in we fluff it with a stall fork. We throw scratch, fruit, veggies and other treats out there so the hens do a pretty good job of keeping it turned. We clean that out in the spring and till that wonderful composted soil into the garden and start over.

A lot also depends on the number of chickens & living area size. We have a large coop and run for my 6 which helps. We don't free range but that would help too.

We have 4 Black Sex Links & 2 Buff Orpingtons.

10. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    X2 I just have different chickens 3 RIR and 2 ameraucana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by