Need help ASAP (Baby Ducklngs)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Teresaann24, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    A friend of mine brought me some baby ducks that a lady was using for easter pictures and she no longer wanted them. I have no feed for them tonight our farm supply is closed till 8am in the morning so What can I feed these cuties tonight?

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chicken feed, oatmeal, cornbread, cereal...

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN

Cornbread? cereal?. that would not be good for baby ducks to eat, theres stuff in there that ducks should not have. I would feed them mashed layer feed. Or cooked outmeal. Not raw. The raw stuff would expand in their belly and hurt them. Good luck!... Pics?

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Thats a rouen. Very cute! Did you only get 1?

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    No they are 6 she told my friend she bought them at TSC as mallards.

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Mallards? Those dont look like no mallard. Mallards have 2 eye stripes. Rouens have 1.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingDucklings.html If you have nothing else make them oatmeal but not real thick, like a gruel. and plenty of water. they also need water to wash their faces in. also they will need a heat source.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Okay, a couple of things - first, congratulations, and good for you!

The ducklings need to have a shallow pan of water 24/7 along with food. And they need to be able to "chew" the food, so they need to have some kind of grit (sand) in their digestive tract. Not much, just a sprinkling, maybe half a teaspoon, on top of their food.

If it's just for overnight, some cooled down soupy cooked oatmeal (not the flavored kind, just plain rolled oats). Another thing that would be helpful would be a boiled egg. Boil it, and crush the whole thing into little bitty bits, shell and all, very small pieces, cooled off. Ducklings need some protein and eggs are one way to give it to them. If you are concerned you won't crush the shell into small enough pieces, just take the shell off, and smash the egg and serve that.

Crushed cat kibble,again, tiny pieces, sprinkled in the egg or oatmeal would also work.

Ducklings have to have water all the time. They can choke and suffocate without it.

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have raised ducks before (Blue swedish) but ended up after having them a few months getting rid of them. Because of the predator problem I had at that time. Just did not know what to feed babies other then normal duckling feed I buy at my local farm supply store.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by