Need help ASAP!!! Broken neck? Gosling.

sweeterdeeter42

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
We found a gosling that cant hold its head up and keeps laying it side to side. Does it have a broken neck? Anything I can do for it? Ive got it under a heat lamp right now. I have antibiotics and vitamins/electrolytes I can try to give it, but IDK if it will take it at all.

ETA: It is breathing fine. I would think that if it got hit by a car it would be dead since it is so small. It has no big feathers coming in yet. Ive not had goslings before so I need help.

Last edited:
Goslings have weak necks when they're born. It takes a while for them to control their heads, and to walk for that matter. I suppose if they are low on nutrition the neck would be the first to go. Get it some vitamins and good food.

Good luck with it. I hope someone who knows more will come along.

Nevermind. It died in my hands.
sad.png
Poor thing. I was kind of getting excited about having a goose in with my chickens.

ETA: Apparently they found it on the side of the road before they brought it to me. Probably got nicked by a car.

Last edited:
I had one do that too last year. it died as well. I don't believe it has to do with an injury. more than likely a disease but the others were ok. He was weaker than the others when I received him. sorry to hear that. I know I was heartbroken when I loose a gosling. love them to pieces

That neck thing sounds like classic Botulism. In the old days waterfowl men called it"limberneck" since the effects showed up in the neck first and birds would lose control of the neck sometimes to the point that it would allow the head to sink beneath the surface of the water and drown. It is a disease rarely found in waterfowl because of their short digestive track. In waterfowl it is usually due to a toxin on/in something they ate. The toxin is only formed in fairly oxygen free conditions (like under the surface of water) so a duck or goose on a natural waterway that is feeding under the surface is at risk. Dead vegatation or fish etc are the usual source. It is not always fatal, it depends of the dose injusted like all toxins. If they live a day after showing the condition they can usually survive (with support) but recovery takes a long time and some loss of muscle control may stay with them for life. ( Yes this is the same toxin known as "bo tox" that can be used to remove facial lines by doctors)
I would check around looking for something dead. Even if you don't have natural water, the innards of animals are often oxygen free and maggots can carry enough of the toxin to cause problems from mild to death.
I AM NOT SAYING this was THE cause, only that it is a KNOWN cause. Other toxins can have the same effect. ~gd

Back
Top Bottom