NEED HELP ASAP - Chick is stuck

TJAnonymous

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have an egg that pipped through a blood vessel early this morning (Day 21). After that, there has been NO progress.

20210721_142801.jpg

After 12 hrs, I candled the egg. There was movement and the chick was chirping but it didn't seem to be taking up the air cell. Still I put it back in the incubator.

More time has passed (1.5 hrs) and still no progress. I candled again. No change. By this point, I was concerned the chick is shrink wrapped or stuck. I carefully peeled away a bit of the outer shell. I put original neosporin on the inner membrane. Chick IS alive and chirping but can't seem to move.

20210721_194901.jpg

I'm not sure what to do... I see blood vessels so I don't know what is safe to remove and what isn't. The beak is through the inner membrane but I don't think the chick can turn at all.

Trying to attach a video

Shezadandy

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
Have a look at this guide. whick I read before every hatch- sometimes the legs are just in the wrong spot or some such, especially if there's a lot of frustrated movement and chirping without any progress. It has excellent descriptions of how the membrane should look if he's ready to pop out with some help. Usually I take the shell off the top as if the chick had zipped but leave the moistened membrane so they still have to push a little (which is also important for many reasons).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

TJAnonymous

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Have a look at this guide. whick I read before every hatch- sometimes the legs are just in the wrong spot or some such, especially if there's a lot of frustrated movement and chirping without any progress. It has excellent descriptions of how the membrane should look if he's ready to pop out with some help. Usually I take the shell off the top as if the chick had zipped but leave the moistened membrane so they still have to push a little (which is also important for many reasons).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Thanks... I have read it in the past but didn't have it bookmarked. I'm leaving the chick for now since it's still absorbing. Here's the latest picture

20210721_210758.jpg

TJAnonymous

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Thanks for the replies.... I was panicking because I had a chick who died a few months ago because he/she was shrink wrapped. Fully developed. Fully absorbed.... But couldn't turn or get out. I wasn't worried until I candled after 12 hours and there was absolutely no progress. It almost looked like the chick couldn't even push into the air cell space at all. I was certain he was shrink wrapped or malpositioned and stuck somehow. At least I know he can breathe and with the neosporin on the membrane, I can see the progress on him absorbing the rest of the blood. I am not as panicked now.

TJAnonymous

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
I have 4 chicks that have hatched so far. I took 2 of them out to a broody to see if she will raise them as her own. (She's been sitting for weeks with no luck...)

While I was gone.... Someone made it out of his shell with a bloody mess in his wake..... There's a red blob of something on his bottom.

20210721_233555.jpg

Htxchicks

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
Chick is still alive this morning but whatever is attached to its bottom is leaving bloody buttprints all over the incubator floor. I haven't had a chance to examine closer and see what it is....
I had a chick that had a small hole where his cord detached I cleaned it up and sprayed liquid bandage on the spot then left it in the incubator an extra day. Chick is thriving now at 6 weeks.

Top Bottom