NEED HELP ASAP! CHICKEN WITH BLOOD COMING OUT ITS EYE! PICS *update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boykin2010, Oct 5, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i have an easter egger hen that is my favorite. Today i came home and its beautiful white feathers was covered with blood. For those of you who dont know i have been battleing some disease that is spreading throughout my flock. Some has said it could be a respitory disease. I have lost about 5 or 6 chickens in the last month to this disease and i have called a poultry vet to come out and look. I havent gotten a response from the vet and have left two messages the last week. The symptoms of this disease are wheezing, bubbly eyes, mucous coming out of its nose. Some said it was a CRD in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=572910
    The
    only thing is that this time there is blood coming out of its eye all on its feathers! This hasnt happened before.
    I have thought that maybe it was a hawk attack because when i got home I saw part of my shadecloth covering the run was torn down. It was being held on by zipties and it was broke off. Could it be possible that a hawk attacked while i was gone?
    This chicken was perfectly fine and normal yesterday, and now is about to die.
    Please tell me what to do! I had to kill a chicken yesterday because it was wheezing really badly and was about to die and i didnt want it to suffer. This chicken isnt wheezing but it has bubbly eyes and blood all over it.
    There is no injury at all to its body, i checked.
    I will post pics

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

This is the torn shadecloth

4. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I also forgot to mention that because some people said it was a CRD i treated all chickens with duramycine for 3 days

5. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Get your birds some Tylan until the vet can get there. Secondary infections from respiratory ailment can wreak havoc.
    The eye injury appears to be from a physical cause.

6. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    What is the difference between Tylan and Duramycin?

and I agree that the bloody eye looks like a physical injury. However, if a hawk flew through the tarp and broke it off, and then had to fly back out, I suspect you would see some feathers in the area that don't belong to your chickens. I also think they would have a hard time flying back out. Could there be another predator that can climb fences, break through, and climb back out? Are you missing any hens? Something like a coon might be able to climb that fencing and crawl over, but i suspect you'd have more than a bloody eye from that...

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I injected the bird with tylan yesterday. Lets hope it helps

8. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    She isnt looking any better today. I planning on giving her another injection.
    How long should keep treating her with tylan?
    How long do i wait before i can eat any eggs from her since i have been treating her with tylan?

9. flashover1969

flashover1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Administer one injection, 3 days in a row.

Tylan and Duramycin are both antibiotics

Duramycin is tetracycline hydrochloride, which is used for fighting oxytetracycline-susceptible bacteria

Tylan is Tylosin...this one is a bit more complicated in how it works( or at least explaining it), but it's pretty much a broad spectrum antibiotic.

More info on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylosin

I
    recommend feeding them a little plain yogurt since the antibiotics can also kill the good bacteria in the digestive tract.

10. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Ok, i treated her for 3 days with tylan. I havent given her anything the last 2 days. It cleared up great, and it turns out she does have an eye it was just swollen so bad you couldnt see it. I was very impressed by the tylan and the chicken looked great. ( almost 100% better ) This morning her eye is swollen shut again and its not looking that great. Should i give another treatment of tylan for another 3 days to clear this up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by