Need Help ASAP!! Daughter brought home 5 wild bunnies.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Hen House 60, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Hen House 60

Hen House 60 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2009
    Our neighbor was clearing land and the tree guys came across 5 wild bunnies. Of course my child brought them home.

I need to know what to feed them and how often and everything else I should know. They do not have their eyes open and barely any fur.

We have pet rabbits, but none with milk.

I need all the help I can get!!!!

Thanks

2. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    there are some very good rabbit experts on here! I wish I could help you. Can you take some of the fur from one of your rabbits to make a little nest to keep them warm?

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would try to put them back were you found them..Or contact a local wildlife rehab.... I have tried many times to keep baby bunnies alive and it always ends badly... i worked at an animal control for a while and brought home every litter and never had one survive more then a few days..

If you want to try.. Get them on a heat pad, go to your feed store or walmart and get some kitten milk replacer... Keep them warm fed and wipe there bottom with warm wet rags after feeding...

Good luck... It is always better to leave baby wildlife were you found them... Mom and dad leave to get food and if left alone most will come back...

I made this mistake many times as a child...

4. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    Yes, we have put them into a nesting box and taken some fur from the others who are shedding.

I am not sure if they need a heating pad or what. I have them in the house.

I was just reading about feeding the KMR for Kittens and adding whipping cream to it????????

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    I made the mistake of trying "to help" baby bunnies a cat had gotten. They weren't injured but all of them died anyway. One died in my hand, it was sooooo heartbreaking...[​IMG]

6. Hen House 60

Jan 9, 2009
    Sorry we must have been typing at the same time.

YES -- we know its best to leave and let be. But this entire lot was being cleared and then burned this afternoon. The people did not know and then my daughter (13 years old) spoke up on the way home and said we could try to care for them. You do not want to know what they were going to do.

Its worth a try.

7. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I agree with the others. They do not seem to live in captivity. We have tried it twice and they both died. One my DH caught while he was swathing, after he watched the momma get killed by a hawk. He was quite a bit older then yours sound, he was furry and hopping around outside with his littermates.

He seemed to be doing great, we had him in the house in a dog crate, and he would just follow us around the house and sit on our feet. Then one day he just died. We had had him for a week or two.

8. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    We adopted a baby bunny that almost got run over by a lawn mower, she was not as young as yours, but we bought kitten milk replacer, and they had feed bottles designed for bunnies at Petco. I tihnk bunnies like to eat upside down, on their backs. And if I remember correctly, mother bunnies will eat their own young if they feel that they're "threatened" (odd way to "save" them from predators) and will abandon them if they fall out of the nest. I don't know if putting them back would work. I would try a heating pad on low or a heatlamp, and somewhere for them to hide on and off the heatingpad. Try to google how much to feed them and how many times a day they eat. It might be 3 times? Mom doesn't come home very often or stay long for feedings that's all I remember.
    **Our bunny lived and was set free.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  9. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Do you have a wildlife rehab center in your area? We have one in MN. Baby bunnies with their eyes still shut are probably not going to make it without specialty care. Good luck!!![​IMG]

sandyj

10. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by