Need help asap - Dying Chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chakara, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Chakara

Chakara New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi all. I recently got some chicks from a breeder. All of the sudden they have just started dying. I've contacted the breeder & local feed store and everyone is clueless. The chicks are under 4 weeks old. They become lethargic, stop eating, have bloody stool and then die. There's no sign of a respiratory issue, eyes, feathers, vents are all normal until the symptoms start. It is so fast. They will go from normal to dead within 10-12 hours. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    This is Coccidiosis. You need to get Corid as soon as possible! Coccidiosis is a disease of the intestinal tract that can kill quite quickly, as you have experienced. It causes all of the symptoms that you've listed; there is not question that this is Coccidiosis.

Get some Corid liquid or Corid powder. These two products are sold for cattle, but can be used for chickens. The dosage for Corid liquid is two teaspoons per gallon of water, and the dosage for Corid powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water. Both medications are given for five days.

Make sure to change the Corid water daily. Also, don't feed any apple cider vinegar, dairy products, or supplemental vitamins while using Corid. Corid works by depriving the protozoa that cause Coccidiosis of the vitamin thiamine (B1), so giving them vitamins would make it less likely to work.

Hope this helps!

2 people like this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 If you don't get Corid soon, more chicks will die.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I agree with the above. Corid is the best treatment. Hurry!

5. daystardoberman

daystardoberman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Wow, I've been dealing with cocci for years in my puppies, I had no idea how Corid worked. Also, the medicated chick starter has amprolium in it too. Is there any reason you wouldn't use the medicated chick starter?

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Good heaven's why on earth did the breeder not know what to suggest based on those symptoms?! Classic coccidiosis!

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The medicated starter contains very low levels of Amprolium, it will not even prevent coccidiosis in all cases, birds can and do still come down with it while on medicated feed. It's value is arguable for that reason. It definitely will not treat an actual outbreak.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Medicated chick starter is only a preventative measurement. It slowly creates immunity to Coccidiosis. However, if a chick gets Coccidiosis before it has become resistant to the disease, the medicated chick starter will not be enough to treat it. It does not contain a high enough level of amprolium for treatment. Thats why you need to use Corid if your birds get Coccidiosis. Even if fed for a long time, medicated feed does not prevent all strains of Coccidiosis. There are nine types of Coccidiosis in chickens, so a bird may build resistance to one, but may be affected by another.

1 person likes this.
  9. Chakara

Chakara New Egg

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi everyone! Thank you! I found the Corid and also did some additional reading here on coccidiosis. I have been giving it to the three survivors overnight by syringe. Its still touch-&-go, so I'm hoping the little girls pull through.

I've had them on medicated feed, so they came with the cocci. :-( I am done with that breeder for sure.

Sorry for my delay - I have never lost a chick and was beside myself yesterday (I don't breed - just pets/eggs)! Hopefully I'll have good news to share soon!

Thank you again!!!!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Just so you know, medicated feed is not a sure way of preventing Coccidiosis. If a bird is introduced to large quantities of Coccidia, or to a different type of Coccidia (like when they move to a new home), the medicated feed isn't always enough to prevent their bodies from becoming overloaded.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by