Need help ASAP (HE MADE IT!!!!!!!) Update Page2!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Teresaann24, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I found my 9 week old silkie chick in the snow half dead. I rushed him inside and have him under a heating lamp.

What eles can I do? He was fine this morning when I went out and fed and watered him. He some how got out of the cage away from his momma and was laying infrount of their cage in the snow.

He was just jerking and now he is shaking. I just now found him.

Is he gonna die?????????

We got 5 inches of snow lastnight and its in the temp is in the teens.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Warm a towel in the microwave (not too hot) and wrap him in it. Make sure he doesn't get too hot too fast under the heat lamp. If he's shivering that's a good sign. He should be ok.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'd wrap him in a towel and put him in my shirt to warm him. Maybe syringe warm water into his beak,.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I'll try the warm towl thing he is shaking like a leaf on a tree he has his eyes closed.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    he is shivering. that is a good sign. shivering is a way of warming

do not overheat him.. he should show improvement in an hour or two..

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

he/she may be shocky. Gentle warming ASAP is critical. Tuck him in your shirt next to your bare skin, then put a warm towel over it. Try to get some lukewarm water into it to help with core warming. [​IMG]

7. katiek

katiek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2008
    Wildwood, GA
    Hang in there, slowly warm him! body heat is the best thing! hold him close to you in a warm towel!

love on him and he'll be okay I bet!

anyone else out there have any ideas?

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I go with the warm towel and body heat. Luau and Louie drowned twice together and I brought them back with that measure. One of my others that froze overnight last week I used a heat lamp after I warmed in my shirt until he stopped shaking.

9. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have him wrapped in a reciving blanket i warmed and am holding him in my arms. He is starting to open his eys and look at me.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    no water, he is not conscience enough to drink.. he will warm faster if you just put a heat source onto him like a light bulb.. wrapping it in a towel is not a good thing.. that traps the cold in his body ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by