need help asap lost 9 chickens in 3 days rilrito

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lpfd778, Jul 18, 2010.

1. lpfd778

lpfd778 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Higbee MO
    Hi I am new to keeping chickens I have had good luck up to 3 days ago when they started dieing for no aparent reason I lost 1 first day then 5 the next day 2 the next day and then none yesteday 2 today I thought it might be coccitiosios so started dossing corid in the water on Friday. I had noticed a berry little amount of blood in poop before corid haven't seen any since the chickens are acting week lathargic just kinda out of it no balance I don't know what to,do at this point they are about 3 months old any help and advice thanks in advance

2. MyBlackHen

MyBlackHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Upstate New York
    So sorry to hear about your losses. I don't have any suggestions - I am new to keeping chickens also. I will be following this thread to hear what the more knowledgeable BYC members have to offer. Good luck!

3. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    What are they eating? where are they living? do you notice any coughing? sneezing? wounds? strange behavior? Maybe I can help if i get a little more info... otherwise someone else will jump in.

4. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Are they huddling together, or sleeping while standing with their feathers puffed out? Cocci will often present with "puffy" chicks, lethargy, huddling, and bloody poo. If that's what they are doing, then I would venture to say it probably is Cocci and you are doing the right thing with treating them with Corid. Just try to keep them warm and encourage them to eat with maybe some boiled eggs, and add maybe add some probiotics to their feed, and some Poly-Visol without iron. If they are uncoordinated and faliing over, you are dealing with something else... maybe someone else will know what it could be. Good Luck, and so sorry about your chicks! [​IMG]

5. lpfd778

Jul 15, 2010
    Higbee MO
    They are in a 8ftx8ft coop I'd the night and out in the yard that is finced off for them during the day I have been feeding 22% grower crumble,
    The thing that gets me is they are sleeping standing huddiling togather larhargic and acting week and uncordnated most are eating and drinking fine it is like fine one min and go back and check on them a cpl of hours,latter and they are ethier laying down and can't get up or are dead

6. lpfd778

Jul 15, 2010
    Higbee MO
    They are in a 8ftx8ft coop I'd the night and out in the yard that is finced off for them during the day I have been feeding 22% grower crumble,
    The thing that gets me is they are sleeping standing huddiling togather larhargic and acting week and uncordnated most are eating and drinking fine it is like fine one min and go back and check on them a cpl of hours,latter and they are ethier laying down and can't get up or are dead

7. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    Sure sounds like Cocci. I lost some chicks last year from that, and I treated with Sulmet, because I couldnt find Corid. The Sulmet actually worked pretty fast and I started seeing improvement in about 24 hours. I have heard Corid is actually a better product. I dont know how long it takes for the Corid to work, but I would think you should be seeing some improvement by now if you started treating them Friday, if it IS Cocci, anyway. Last year, with my chicks, the bloody poo stopped about 24 hours after treatment, and they started "unpuffing" and getting a little more active, but it really knocked them for a loop. It took a while before they bounced back completely. It slows down their growth and it put my chicks about 4 weeks behind. My chicks were about 5 weeks old when they got it. How long have your chicks been on the dirt? Did you just move them out to the coop recently from the brooder? Has it been hot and rainy? Are you feeding medicated or unmedicated feed? If they've been the dirt for a while, with them being 3 months old, I would think Cocci wouldnt be as likely, but I could be wrong. [​IMG] If it IS Cocci, you are doing the right thing. Corid should treat it.

8. lpfd778

Jul 15, 2010
    Higbee MO
    They have been out for about 2 weeks now but we just had a heat wave here with high humidity heat indexes of 110 I am feeding unmedicated because I have ducks also and was told it would kill ducks.

9. lpfd778

Jul 15, 2010
    Higbee MO
    We lost 2 more this morning

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    It could be the heat! Excessive heat is deadly to chickens.

Is your run in the shade all day? If not, you need to put up some shade tarps. You can hose down part of the run several times a day, put out frozen jugs of water, put ice in the chickens' water, put out pans of water for them to stand in, set up a fan, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by