1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Help ASAP please-baby chick walking with it's wings out, chirping loudly, etc.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlibraria, May 3, 2016.

1. chickenlibraria

chickenlibraria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2015
    Hi All:
    I have a week old barred rock pullet that is not doing well. She was fine until today. When I checked on them this AM I noticed the smallest girl standing still. When I picked her up, she didn't struggle at all but instead fell asleep in my hand. I thought it might be coccidiosis so I added some meds to her water. She is chirping loudly even when asleep. She is just standing in one place swaying. When she walks she walks with her wings out.

Help! I'm not sure what is going on.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire UK
    My Coop
    Have you checked her vent? She could have pasty butt and is bunged up. Not been able to poop can be painful for them. If there is poop stuck you may need to soak it off.

Good luck with her :fl

3. chickenlibraria

Aug 1, 2015
    I checked for pasty vent but she seems fine in that area. I have since given her some antibiotics and sugar water. I have her under a heat lamp. I'm afraid that I got water in her lungs as well. Sigh.....I hope she makes it. She seems to be resting now finally but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for your reply!

4. MrsKuhn

MrsKuhn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2016
    California
    [​IMG] hope she is doing better

5. chickenlibraria

Aug 1, 2015
    she didn't make it. I figured out the issue but it was too late. Thank you for responding.

6. Seabright12

Seabright12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear about your chick :( If you don't mind me asking, what was the issue? I also lost a chick with similar problems and would like to know what you figured out for the future.

7. chickenlibraria

Aug 1, 2015
    I'm reluctant to discuss. I went against my better judgment and gave them mealworms. She had a sour crop. By the time I figured it out she was too weak and died while I was giving her treatment. I don't really want to discuss because I don't want any negative feedback. It's hard enough losing a chicken but even harder when you are the contributing factor.

8. Seabright12

Seabright12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I completely understand. I've been there before.

9. MrsBro

MrsBro Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    Frankenmuth, Michigan
    Sorry for your loss, chickenlibraria.

10. chickenlibraria

Aug 1, 2015
    thank you Seabright12 and MrsBro. That means a lot to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by