Need Help ASAP Please

CountryCoozie

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
I have a chick who has injured its leg. Its about a week and a half old and I noticed it just today. I did some looking into it and thought it may have been a slipped achilles tendon but the chick is stretching it out and moving it and when we tried to put the tendon back it wouldn't budge. It is sore and the chick is laying down and seems to be favoring that leg, it is also bruised and swollen on the hock area. The lower portion of the leg looks to be twisted at an outward angle and rotated inwards. I don't believe its broken as the chick will put some weight on it and move around. Is there anything that can be done? I'll see if I can add some photos.

First guess. Chick got splayed from somewhere (possible due to crooked toe on left leg of the picture and/or cardboard)

This is the chicken version of a sprained ankle.

Treatment is splinting the leg best you can to the normal position and give electrolytes (specifically vitamin b). Self adhesive wrap (aka Coban) works best (it's $2-3 at most drug- typically with bandaids/pet-first aid section/feed stores-common in the horse section) or bandaids. Small Popsicle sticks can help too if it's really bad but be careful to tape and get rid of all sharp edges.

If not that. Check to make sure there isn't signs of infection. (warmer temp on leg than other one. Oozing pus...)

I am the sole reason the self adhesive wrap is never going out of business thanks to my clumsy dog who sprains and strains his ankle. We have holiday theme wraps

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. He however unfortunately was euthanized. There was no improvement and he seemed to be in pain. On a happier note his fellow chicks are doing well, and growing like weeds.

Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom