need help ASAP (puffed up listless hen!!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aj1911, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    ok so one of my RIR's is sick again, this is the 3rd one and one of my GLW's had it too, i have no idea what could be making them sick at all and need help ASAP, the other 3 recovered ok all tho they had black tar like poo for a while.

anyway here is some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

she has no breathing problems, no wounds, crop is empty and kinda squishy, she wont eat.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I would think if she has black tar poo that it probably contains blood. Have you tried to deworm them. It could be worms.

3. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:i have them on verm-x atm in case it is worms, people swear by it so idk, i prefer to stay organic and sell my eggs as such so i prefer to not use normal wormers if i dont have to but at this point i'm thinking about it

the black poo seems to be in the ones that have recovered and mostly goes back to normal with a little black still (more then i like)

over all verm-x is the most brod spectrum thing i have (the garlic and other stuff in it has been proven to kill just about everything in lab tests and humans so its worth a try all tho it might not be strong enough to fully worm them).

4. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    my DLW that i thought recovered has came down with it again

i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Best advice is...stop the guessing games and get some professional advice for free through your State Veterinarian. I don't like the look of that poo photo you posted. When the poo becomes pretty much white and watery, it indicates the kidneys are in trouble. If you can't find the contact info for your State Vet, PM me with your location and I'll send you the info.

6. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:PM sent.

7. MotherJean

8. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    Quote:they were 0 help and told me if the birds dies to send it in tell then they cant help me.....

so more advice please?

9. MotherJean

Sorry you didn't get the help you were hoping for. Give us a real thorough rundown on your birds, what symptoms you dealt with in the past, how you treated them, and what symptoms you are facing now. Maybe someone here can come up with something...

10. Aj1911

Jun 4, 2009
    same exact symptoms as posted

treatment i used was verm-x + LOTS of probiotics and green foods (salads etc)

other wise no illness besides more when i first got my flock they had cocci which was treated with sulmet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by