Need Help ASAP regarding chicks!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Mar 3, 2012.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I just picked up a couple chicks at the feed store. 2 of which were free because they were not doing too well. One of the chicks is dragging its leg and the other is just laying around with its eyes closed. They are only day old bantams. I bought save-a-chick and I put it in their water. I am trying to get them to drink and I made there starter crumbles into mash.

My questions include:
    -What can I do to help fix the leg problem? I am going to make him a brace (as you would for spraddled leg), but any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    -Can I give them polyvistol baby vitamins (without iron)? Is this okay even when they drink save-a-chick? What is the dose for a day old bantam?
    -Is it possible this could be mareks? If so what can I do and will the other chicks get it?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE 3/4/12:
    Sadly the runt passed away a couple hours after bringing him home.
    Pictures of the chick with the leg problem:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    try getting at least the save-a-chick down them with a dropper... does it list it's ingredients? You don't want to overdose them on vitamins. If it does not include vitamins, then yes on the Poly.. Make sure they're warm.

As for the rest, I haven't a clue - I'm sure someone else will stop in shortly! I think it's very kind of you to want to at least try to help these babies. What a good chicky parent you are!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Bless your heart, but why would you get sick chicks and add them to your stock? Search for spraddle leg. You can use tape. Not sure about the other one. Maybe you can work miracles and they will survive but you've put a lot of stress on yourself. [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    I understand how much care and work goes into caring for chicks, especially sick ones. I got them because I figured I could give them better care then they would get at a store in a bin full of 15 other chicks. Sadly, the runt just passed away. I was holding it and I went to put it down and it stopped breathing. The chick with the leg problem is still hobbling around. I tried fixing it with a band aid but she has feathered legs and all her fuzz got stuck to the band aid. I then tried using two straws and taping them together, still didn't work. If I didn't try to fix her leg, will it heal on its own eventually? Or will she always drag her leg? Any suggestions are appriciated.

5. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
  6. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011
    Thanks for that link. We have tried so much already to help him and nothing seems to be working. We tried using a band aid, hair band, Goze tape, & Velcro Stripes. Nothing seems to be working. I added pictures in Post #1. Any suggestions? What if we cannot fix it, will she still be able to walk and thrive as an adult?

7. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I've never had a case that severe, in fact it looks different than spraddle leg. Hopefully someone can help you but I had one like that and had to cull it. It wasn't thriving and the other chicks pecked it and ran all over it. [​IMG]

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

Mar 29, 2011

This chick is doing normal chick things though. She hops around the brooder and will drink water on her own, and peck at the food on her own. I always dip her beak in her waterer every time I see her (just to make sure she is getting enough and she always drinks). She is very active. If I have to I can separate her from the whole group of chicks (to prevent them from stepping on her leg). When the other chicks accidentally step on her leg, she moves and chirps. So she is very alert and has a will to live. I am sorry to hear that you had to cull one of your chicks. It is defiantly not an easy thing to do.
    I appreciate all of your help you are giving me. [​IMG]

9. suebee

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Well sounds like you've chosen to accept this mission! Hope it lives a long and happy life. Keep me updated! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by