Need HELP ASAP update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Granny Hoffman, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Granny Hoffman

Granny Hoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I helped the little guy out yesterday was doing good, but didn't make it through the night.

One of my chicks is piping and now there is a frothy foam coming out of the egg. Not sure what to do for him.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Nothing you can do. Leave it and hope for the best. It may be due to too high humidity, but you don't want to risk the rest of your hatch. Good luck. Hope all works out ok.

3. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I have never seen that before..but then maybe its because I tend to not hang around and watch,I figure what makes it makes it,what doesnt wasnt meant to..I would just leave it be and see how it turns out.

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Icky. I hope it hatches! [​IMG]

5. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    how is it doing now????
    i have my fingers crossed [​IMG]

gigi

6. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    It's still alive but no progress getting out of the shell.

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I agree with hinkjc and lorieMN. The chicks that can't hatch, I don't help. I figure the setting hen doesn't help chicks that can't make it on their own - there must be a reason. . . . . .

8. Granny Hoffman

Jul 19, 2010
    SE Michigan
    That is what I am doing, just leaving it alone. It is still in the hatcher, I will leave it in there until it either hatches or passes. Thank you for your help. Since this is my first hatch, It kinda freaked me out. But on the bright side, I have 9 little fuzzy buts. Working on posting pics now.

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Congratulations !

I haven't hatched any chicks all summer. [​IMG] Put the first eggs in yesterday, hoping for bantam EE from this cross. In 3 or 4 days, I will add some eggs that will produce more "olive eggers" [​IMG]

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally I'd take it out and help it. Put a warm wet cloth in the bator when you open it and you won't 'jeopardize' the rest of your hatch. It is possible for the chicks to get stuck in the shell, but the wet cloth will help with that. I'm constantly opening my bators during hatches, I don't have much of a choice. Most all I hatch are quail or other gamebirds and they can only stay in the incubator for at most 24 hours.

I've seen chicken hens leave nests with pipped eggs in them. Of course mama goes right back after she's done her business, and the babies hatch out just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by