Need help ASAP week old chick with tip of thumb sized boil on leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vyraal, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Vyraal

Vyraal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    So my bad chick luck ensues, this time with my permanantly bent legged chicks leg getting infected and growing some sort of boil like thing...hard to explain, question is what do I do? I don't have any access to upload a picture right now but I can explain it, its on the joint, swollen, very red, has a large point where it could pop, and looks kinda painful though the chick shows no sign of pain. I need to know if I can pop it, and how to treat it, and I don't have access to any sort of shot, so it has to be a home remedy..I know, it sucks. I really don't want to loose this poor thing.
    Edit: I lied, photobucket doesn't hate me! http://m1115.photobucket.com/albumv...utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTAxLTAwODQ5LmpwZw.jpg.html hopefully this will work, if not, pics tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Please you guys..

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Wow... That looks bad! I can't help you. I don't know what that is. I'm VERY new to chickens.... I got my first ones in April.

BTW: I can see the picture. [​IMG] BYC has an uploader you can use. [​IMG]

4. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    Here.... I got your picture to come up.

[​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Does it look like it's filled with infection/puss? I would sterilize a needle and puncture it, then squeeze it to drain out the infection. Sorry, I know that's gross, but that would give your little chick alot of relief.

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I'm not exactly sure what to do but here is what I would do...

First, does this chick walk? If not, he could be rubbing a 'blister' on his leg...

If he does/doesn't walk, I would use warm salt water compresses on the leg...hopefully this will help bring the infection to a 'head'. After soaking, I would apply a topical antibiotic, without pain relief, to the area. Keep him warm and dry. Do you have any antibiotics at all?

Do the warm compresses for 20 minutes every couple hours. Hopefully, you will see the problem localize. If it does, then I would open the 'head', clean out with a peroxide mixture, 50% peroxide, 50% water...and apply more antibiotic ointment.

Good luck with the little guy!!! It really stinks to have one so little and sick!

7. christina1982

christina1982 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    The post above is right.

The way I have done it (worked in the medical field) is you need to lance it. The infection (puss) will slowly drain out. Not only is this the only way to get the puss out but it will instantly relieve the pain!

8. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    I'm at school right now but soon as I get homeim going to do just that; llance drain and sanitize. I can't activly reply during school but I assure you I'm reading every post! Forgot to add, it has a head already and looks full of pus so it might be a blister, buts its so big and red its dissuading. And it walks primarily by falling onto its knee or foot, depending on how far it needs to go, so there's a higher chance its a blister.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think sometimes they could get a tiny splinter (from a piece of wood shavings or whatever), and then it becomes infected like that.....

I bet she will recover quickly, once you lance that.

Sharon

10. Vyraal

Oct 11, 2011
    Southern California
    Good news for now, we (my mom and I) cleaned the wound which seems to be a blister and fashoined together a little chick cast and the little sweetie seems to be holding up just fine. It doesn't seem to be infected so here's hoping for the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by