Need help ASAP with a cochin mom that wants her 5 week old chicks away!

kallan

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Hardy, VA
Help!!! I thought I could just add mom and her brood back in with the other cochins, but she wants away from them now! She paces back and forth to get out. She is terrorizing the little ones....some have gone to roost already and it's only 6pm. When she moves around, they flee for their lives. What can I do? I have let mom out to free range and I could put her back in tonight with the other 5 cochin females she was with, but what about her little ones? I thought she would protect them from the other hens....guess not. I can keep the little ones separated in the existing set up.

How many chicks does she have? I put 2 4 week old chicks with 4 13 week old pullets and just put cardboard boxes in the coop and run with little doors in them for the little ones to go in.

How many chicks does she have? I put 2 4 week old chicks with 4 13 week old pullets and just put cardboard boxes in the coop and run with little doors in them for the little ones to go in.
She has 6 chicks. The 5 cochin hens have a rooster with them. When she was about to hatch these 6, I removed her from them. They are almost 2 years old and quite set in their ways. I have 3 more cochins that are almost 6 months old and they jumped on them so bad that I removed them. I still want to integrate these 3 cochins, too, but now am I going to have to wait until these little ones are much larger?

Update: I decided to place the mom on the roost with the other 5 hens she was once housed with, because when I tried her again with her little ones, she immediately started attacking them. They will end up dead with this pecking behavior, so I will let them grow up together in this pen for a while. This hen did start laying several days ago, so she must have had enough of being a mother. She will definitely be starting out at the bottom of the pecking order now. I did try her with her flock of hens before dark and several jumped on her quite viciously. I will probably let her free range with me tomorrow if she gets attacked too much.

Back
Top Bottom