Need help asap

Jimagination

Songster
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
Lancaster, PA
I cut my twisted beaked chickens beak too short and it is bleeding. How do I stop the bleeding? My husband left to get the stuff at the store, but isthere anything at home I can use? I tried flour and corn starch...nothing is working and it just keeps flowing.

Last edited:
Flour should work. You have to almost make a paste out of the flour and the blood until it stops bleeding...This has happened when Slifer would lose a feather on her foot...looked like a massacre.

Thanks so much. I tried to hold it tight and trued flour again and it didn't work for me, but my husband finally got home and we got it stopped. I felt sooooo bad. There was so much blood! Can she die from that if it goes too long? I am just curious, 'cause my husband kept saying she might not make it.

There is something called styptic powder or a styptic pencil. I used to use it for my parakeets in case their nails were clipped too short. It is specifically intended for this.

Another way to stop the bleeding if it happends again is a softend bar of soap. I'm sure it wouldn't taste good, but it will clog it up in a sence. You would need to push the bar of soap onto the bleeding area, not just wipe it on. It won't work for feathers or cuts, just nails & beaks that are cut too short.

She should be okay...
Her blood will replenish, but she may be a little weak for a day or so.
She COULD die from blood loss if you didn't get it stopped, but since you did get it to, she should be fine.

Thank you all soooo much
hugs.gif

We use super glue on our dogs nails if I accidently cut them into the quick. Just a tiny dab and blow on it a second until it dries. Don't let it touch anything else until it dries or it will be glued to it. Might not work on beaks but desperate times call for desperate measures. Works great. (It's kinda like the skin glue they are now using in people.) Hope your little chick is OK.

Back
Top Bottom