canofworms

Hatching
Jul 1, 2021
Hello, my family and I decided to get chicks for the first time and we really wanted silkies so we ordered online from MyPetChicken. We got 2 silkies, 2 buff laced polish and 2 red stars as day old chicks. When they arrived, 1 polish and 1 red star was dead, and the other red star was struggling. The silkies and the second polish are doing fine. When the alive red star first arrived, we honestly thought she was dead. She had her neck bent backwards facing up and couldn’t even stand. Initially we had her housed with the other chicks but we had to remove her occassionally to hand feed her a mixture of egg yolk, sugar and water. She definitely improved a little in the first day but we had to hold her head forward in order to feed her, I suspected it might be wry neck but I don’t really know. She has opened her eyes a few times over the past 2 days but they remained closed for the most part and we suspect she might be blind in at least one of them. We also had to seperate her from the other 3 because they were beginning to peck at her. She’s stationed in a box upstairs with her own heat lamp and is still very shakey but shes stood up a few times and walked, and her neck is definitely less bent but she still struggles to keep her balance and falls backwards occassionally. My mom wants to reintroduce her to the brood like today and I advised against it because I’m worried the other chicks might kill her. I really don’t know what to do. I currently work for a majority of the day so I don’t really get to first-hand see her behaviour. Does anyone know how we should go about this, or if there’s a better way to do things? Sorry if this is written confusingly, once again it’s my first time owning chickens and I’m panicking a little bit. just want whats best for the little ladies

it could be 1: wry neck
or 2: just a sick chick.

I would separate her from the other chicks just for a little amount of time until she seems to be doing a little better, and put electrolytes in her water such as vetRx and hydrogen. Try giving her little pieces of spinach or broccoli when you feed her the egg yolk, those will make her neck stronger.

I understand you are worried and want the best for your chicks, I was the same way when I had chicks for the first time.:) you're doing great, and if she dies, know you did all you could.

Check the heat regularly and feed egg, chick starter, and gro-gel. Get electrolytes for the water. Prepare yourself for losing her. I am so sorry about this! You didn't do anything wrong. This happens constantly when chicks are transported in the heat. And just transported at all. Keep her separate for a day or two more just in case. They are so young that they will be fine re incorporated later.

Check the heat regularly and feed egg, chick starter, and gro-gel. Get electrolytes for the water. Prepare yourself for losing her. I am so sorry about this! You didn't do anything wrong. This happens constantly when chicks are transported in the heat. And just transported at all. Keep her separate for a day or two more just in case. They are so young that they will be fine re incorporated later.
:clapwell said

vitamin E capsules for wry neck.

But it may be too late or not enough. Don't put her with the others yet. I hope MPC are going round replace the sick/dead chicks.

Back
Top Bottom