Need Help Asap

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 12, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    We just figured out my flock has coryza We found some sulfmet yesterday and gave it to them but do not seem to be doing better today. How long does sulfmet take to start working on killing this, I lost 5 girls so far and about half of my flock has the symptoms. I need help/advice quickly so I can save my flock!! I have been crying for 2 days, this is soooo hard

Should I force some down their throats and if so how much??

please help

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    No, do not over medicate! Sulmet works fast. So sorry for your losses. Hopefully the med will take hold soon and stop the losses.

3. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    The hens aren't drinking the water today....i think if i don't get some in them i am going to have many more dead birds tomorrow, i am up to 4 dead this morning already [​IMG] i am desperate

4. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    how long does sulfmet take to work?

5. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Are they so ill they are not drinking? You should start to see improvment by the second day with Sulmet.

6. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    a few are that ill [​IMG]

we just ordered gallimyicin and coryza vacinne and tylan 50 for the worst of the birds, second day air, but i think i am going to loose a bunch more before then, it is hitting my flock real hard [​IMG]

7. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    So sorry!!!! Good luck!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If it were me and I had nothing to lose, I would dose the sick birds with a syringe. Just about as much as they would drink on their own...1/4 tsp? and do this every 2 - 3 hours. What's worse, waiting for them to die or trying your best? I've done this with several sick birds and they have gotten better. Good luck! I would hand dose until they are well enough to drink on their own.

9. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If the ones that are very ill have not gotten meds, you can try to get the meds to them. I would mix the meds as indicated and give them dropper fulls every couple of hours. Over medicating can cause toxicity.
    So sorry you are going thru this. Good luck with them.

10. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    thanks guys, i will start that right now, i just lost another one [​IMG]

i hate this....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by