1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help ASAP!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gooseegg, Apr 10, 2012.

1. gooseegg

gooseegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    I'm on day 25 of incubating a goose egg. I had seen a air sac last week. Now I don't. I see lots of movement but no distinct air sac. I use a humidity dial. Not digital. Tried to keep it at 50-55 humidity most of the time. It spiked up three days ago and I had to take water out. Does this mean the baby goose is going to drown? I was going to raise humidity Friday. What do I do? I also have been tilting the egg pointed side down... Spraying daily and turning often. 99.5% temp. Help please?!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    The air cell is located in the fat (rounded) end of the egg. Can you candle the egg and take a picture to post please? With out seeing what you are seeing it is hard to try and give ideas.

3. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    I just looked again and there is a very small air sac. I only have my phone and i can't get a good pict. Is it ok that it's so small.

4. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    I just looked again and there is a very small air sac. I only have my phone and i can't get a good pict. Is it ok that it's so small. Maybe taking up only 3 percent of the egg?

5. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    lower the humidity as it may be too high and thats why egg not loosing correct weight

here is a guide line

Geese 28 – 32 days

Still/Forced Air
    37.3 C (99.5) F
    45 – 55 RH%

Contact
    39.5 C (103.1) F
    45 – 55 RH%

Lockdown
    65 RH%

Weight Loss
    14%

6. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    FYI, it was sat on from 3-17th to 21st. Predator got to the nest. I saved the only one that wasn't destroyed. Started incubating 3-21st. So is my math off? Do I need to incubate longer before starting the hatching process?

7. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    you need to remeber goose eggs are hard to hatch and require patience

they take between 28 and 32 days and that is beccause they can start to pip on day 28 but take 3-4 days to hatch bringing the days to 32

here is how to calculate weight if you dont have a starting weight

Weight Loss Calculations
    If the weight of an egg was not measured when it was laid it may be estimated using the formula:
    Fresh Laid Weight (g) = Length (cm) x Breadth (cm) x Breadth (cm) x 0.548
    Using the fresh laid weight and the weight loss percentage recommended for the species the daily weight loss may
    be calculated:

Daily Weight Loss = Fresh Laid Weight x Desired % Loss to pip
    / [divide]
    Number of Days to Pip

Some breeders prefer to use change of Egg Density as the measure of water loss from the egg:
    Egg Volume = Length (cm) x Breadth (cm) x Breadth (cm) x 0.51
    / [divide]
    Egg Density (g/cm3) = Egg Weight (g)
    Egg Volume (cm3)

Estimated Daily Change in Egg Density:
    Daily Change = Egg Density at Time (T1) – Egg Density at Time (T2)
    / [divide]
    Time (T2) - Time (T1)

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    It's no where near hatching. Incubate with turning for 30/31 days stop turning 3 days before so day 27/28. If you set the egg on 3/21 and today is only 4/10 you are on day 20 now.

9. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    I have been told to count the days that it was sat on by the goose as incubation days. Is that not correct? I do know when i candled it the day i put it in the incubator i saw nothing and thought maybe it wasnt fertile. also,Do I still need to drop the humidity? Thank you..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  10. gooseegg

Mar 31, 2012
    I have been told to count the days that it was sat on by the goose as incubation days. Is that not correct? I do know when i candled it the day i put it in the incubator i saw nothing and thought maybe it wasnt fertile. also,Do I still need to drop the humidity because the airsac is so small? Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by