need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I went out this morning to feed and water my chickens. I went to where my broody hen was and she came off to get a drink of water I noticed one of the eggs was cracked not just cracked by part of it on the top was cracked and had fallen off. I am only on day 19 and there is still the white membrance on the chick it looks dry i can see the chick moving inside the membraine. What do I do is the chick hatching? I thought then they cracked the shell they also broke through the membrane what do i do? Only my secound hatch under my broody hen and first time no problems.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The best advise I can give - Leave it alone and let mother nature and your hen take care of it.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree with MP......let mother nature take care of it. I'm surprised she came off the nest. Ususally the last 2 or 3 days you can't get them to budge for nothing.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    She was the same last time hatched out 3 eggs out of 4. She always comes off for a drink but dosen't stay off long. Just long enough for a drink. Then she is right back to that nest. So i should leave it be?

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd let it alone if it was me.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I agree! It'll probably hatch fine without intervention. Just pretend you never saw it! [​IMG]

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I would put food and water next to her so that she doesn't have to get off for it. Good luck!!

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I had to go to town and do some things when i came home i checked again the shell is completly off but the membrane is still coving the chick I can see it moving and its dried the membrane that is. I see a small slit on the side looks kinda bloody not bleeding just looks bloody on the slit on the side. Should i just leave it be or try to help it? None of the other eggs are even trying to hatch yet its only day 19.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would leave it alone and let mother nature and the hen take care of it. If the membrane tear looks a little bloody the chick is not ready to come out.

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Ok thanks for the info. But can it survive even tho all the shell is broken and it has a tear in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by